hats and demodex

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

miteymite

hats and demodex

Post by miteymite »

I was wondering if anyone knew about wearing hats (like baseball caps) and demodex. Is it alright to wear hats, or should they be cleaned? Can the demodex live in them? Will they become more active when the hat is being worn (because of the dark and warmth and possible sweat)?
crzyakta

Post by crzyakta »

I wondered the same, when I used to wear a skull cap during winter last year, my temples and forehead broke out like CRZY

also, do you think the darkness made by hats on the scalp might cause the demodex to be out more often breeding, feeding, moving etc?
miteymite

Post by miteymite »

Hey crzy
A skull cap huh? Yea I could see them little mites hangin in one of those, I wonder if theres anything we could spray or put on that would kill em all, Is there something they sell, maybe like Benzyl Benzoate spray or something...I dunno, any help with this subject would be appreciated.
crzyakta

Post by crzyakta »

now when I occasionally where a baseball hat, I put 100% tea tree oil around the rim (where it meets forehear and temples) with a tissue

it smells strong, but since it is spread out in a thin layer, its actually refreshing
miteymite

Post by miteymite »

Does it help, have you noticed any breakouts? I was thinking about throwing my hat in the dryer for a few minutes on high to see if this would help, I havent worn a b-cap since I started the DS, and Fall's coming, it would be nice to be able to wear one when the rain is pouring down or a beanie when it gets cold.
Marla

Hand wash the hat.

Post by Marla »

Wash the hats by hand in the sink with DS body wash or shampoo. Can also use the facial foaming wash.

Worth a try.