Can pets (dogs) make it worse?

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

crzyakta

Can pets (dogs) make it worse?

Post by crzyakta »

I had a pet dog that itches sometimes, we bathe him once/twice a week in anti flea/tick soap (has pyrethin)...

Now can demodex canis spread to humans? Can my dog make my demodex problem worse?
SteveInAustin

Re: Can pets (dogs) make it worse?

Post by SteveInAustin »

Yes. I think they can carry demodex mites. And obviously you're not going to get rid of your dog just because of that. That would be insane. What you can do instead is to make sure that you wash your face after it comes into contact with your dog. And it's okay to touch your dog with your hands, but don't then go and touch your hands to your face afterwards.

Later on, after you're clear, you can relax a little and experiment more with allowing your dog to come into contact with your face without washing immediately afterwards. If you then break-out afterwards, then you know where it's probably coming from, and you can adjust yourself accordingly. But in the initial stages when you're first clearing yourself, you want to absolutely minimize any facial contact with your dog as much as possible.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
hawaiigirl

can pets make it worse?

Post by hawaiigirl »

I find this subject very interesting. I have spoken to 2 local veterinarians who both say that the demodex canine mites are exclusive to dogs as demodex brevis and folliculorum are to humans. All websites dealing with dogs say the same thing. They cannot infect from human to dog or vice versa. I do have an inside dog we keep very clean and since I came down with rosacea about a year after getting her I always wonder. I have asked a few people on the forum if they have inside pets they are exposed to a lot and some say yes, some no. Two said they had dogs or cats for many years before getting rosacea. It would be interesting if more people would answer that question because if many people who have new or continuing problems have no pets, or had them for many years prior, it could help answer the question so pet people could relax a little. Just putting it out there. Feedback would be great!
crzyakta

Post by crzyakta »

very interesting hawaiigirl...did you ever have signs of rosacea prior to your pet?

my skin has gotten more bumpy since I got my dog 2 years ago...but I find stress also triggers this bumpiness

the ZZ cream and relaxation has helped to lower it though
hawaiigirl

DOGS AND CATS

Post by hawaiigirl »

I NEVER HAD SKIN PROBLEMS PROIR TO THE DOG,BUT i'VE had SEB DERM FOR OVER 25 YEARS ON MY SCALP ONLY. i DIDN'T START HAVING ROSACEA LIKE PROBLEMS UNTIL i HAD THE DOG 1 1/2 YEARS AND NO OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS HAVE ANY PROBLEMS. i BELIEVE IN MY CASE , GREAT STRESS FROM AN INJURY LOWERED MY IMMUNE SYSTEM and if the mites were on my scalp then on to the face! Anyone else with or with out dogs and how long? Crazakta, you say your face is bumpier since the dog which says to me you had this condition before the dog, correct?
Walter

Post by Walter »

crzyakta

Post by crzyakta »

hawaii, I am bumpier, but my dad is losing hair (thinning) since the dog...not sure its connected...my skin DOES get less bumpy when summer rolls along (less stress because I`m not in school, and less girl troubles :P )
cabindave

Re: Can pets (dogs) make it worse?

Post by cabindave »

About in your case, that was a usual problem of dogs don't worry about it getting spread you just proper washed every time you made contact.