Newbie Question about Flushing vs. pimples

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

flamingogreetings

Newbie Question about Flushing vs. pimples

Post by flamingogreetings »

I've been lurking a while here, but this is my first post. I'm really impressed with how helpful everyone is on the forum. It's much appreciated by me. I've been diagnosed with rosacea and I've almost had it 20 years. The start of my rosacea was as a result of the death of my significant other when I was 27. We were soon to be married and you can imagine the affect on me. I read on Brady's website that a strong emotional situation or crisis can cause the onset of rosacea.

Anyway, I do have some pimples from time to time, but much more than that, my rosacea is a flushing condition. I flush heavily every day in recent years. The flush involves my face AND neck. The flushing is either based in stress, heat or cold extremes, or food triggers for the most part. Also, bending over and working can cause me to flush heavily. My face can almost become purple when the flushing is really bad. When I flush, my face & neck itch severely.

I am on my 5th day using the ZZ cream and I am NOT breaking out, as everyone discusses on the forum. My face has become constantly red though, and it itches (along with my neck even though I am not applying ZZ to my neck). I haven't gotten so dry that I need to remove the dead skin with packing tape (as Steve suggests), but, I am dry. I know dryness is normal.

I'm wondering if anyone else has a primarily flushing situation with their rosacea and fewer pimples than most of the stories on this forum. If so,does it mean the ZZ cream is working well because my face is red and itchy on day 5? I've only had one major flush in the past 5 days. It was today, and it was because I was in a room in which the heat was turned on too high, and i got hot.

If anyone can confirm they believe the ZZ is working (because I don't see a lot of pimples) I'd appreciate it. I really want to rid myself of this. I strongly believe I have mites, and I have been diagnosed with rosacea.

Thanks, Beth
nicsunflower

Post by nicsunflower »

Hi Beth,

i've been using the Z-cream now for nearly 40 days, and I also have experience increased redness without any breakouts. I think everyone's skin is different in how it responds, but I do get the dry, flaky skin that most others experience. My dryness continued to get worse until up to 2 weeks into treatment, and now its just starting to get a little better. I still can't apply thick moisturizers or makeup without my skin peeling off, which really sucks. My rosacea is also more of a flushing type in general without many breakouts, but I did start to develop in the last year a permanent redness. I can't really tell at this point if the Z-cream is working because it really takes time. Hopefully some others that have been usuing it for several months and have had success with similar skin types will be able to let you know. I plan to continue for about 4 months before I decide if it works for me or not.
Good luck,
Nic
flamingogreetings

Hi Nic:

Thanks so much for your response. I'm glad to find someone has the same symptoms as me...major flushing in lieu of pimples. I, too, have developed a permanent redness in the past couple of years, and it gets worse by the month. My flushing is also greatly increasing. My skin is getting dryer by the day due to teh ZZ, and I'm sure it won't be long before it begins to really peel. Tonight will only be the 6th application. I don't care how bad it gets. I'm committed to this regimen, and will give it 4- 6 months before passing judgment on my situation. All the success stories really encourage me...but, I would love for both of us to hear from someone who mostly flushes like we do, and has had success in the long run. Let's keep our fingers crossed that we do. Let's also keep in touch. I'd love to know how you are doing.

Lastly, over your years when you have flushing, have you experienced itching with it? Just curious.

Thanks again.
nicsunflower

Post by nicsunflower »

Hi Beth,
My flushing and redness seemed like it was getting worse and worse in the past year too. Its only now that it seems to be stabalizing, but definitely not clear. I had been using some topicals that were really aggravating to my skin (without realizing it at the time), and even after I stopped using them the flushing continued and the redness seemed to get worse for a long time after that (months, almost a year). I'm not sure if its now stabalized because it has healed from the damage I had done or its the treatments I'm using. Besides the Z-cream, I've been using a red/infrared light treatment since December - some report that it helps with flushing and redness. I'm also finally sleeping better - I was suffering a bad bout of insomnia, which I think was contributing.

I'm hopeful that the Z-cream really helps. I too would love to hear from others that have found it helped with their flushing and redness since most of the reports talk about how its helped with acne and papules. You definitely have a good attitude about being committed to the treatment, which is great. Let's definitely keep in contact. If you ever want to email me, my address is [email protected].
My face definitely itches with flushing. I try not to touch it, but it can be pretty difficult sometimes.
Take care,
Nic
dannyboy

Post by dannyboy »

Hi Beth

What concealer do you use on spots, if any ?

thnx,
d.
flamingogreetings

Hi D:

I don't use any concealer or makeup, and haven't been able to for several years. My redness is so bad that there is nothing that will cover it up. I look like Rudolph the red FACED reindeer 24/7. Sorry. Wish I could give you the name of a good product. Hopefully, someone else can.

Beth
flamingogreetings

Update on day 16 for those folks whose rosacea is a permanent redness & major flushing problem (face, neck and upper chest). I haven't had any pimples (and they were not major..just small) since the first few days. However, the itch has kicked in at night after aplying the Z cream (applied to face & neck). The inside of my nose itches too. The worst is my cheeks...however, that (and my nose& chin) is where the worst redness & flushing has always been. I have the classic butterfly "rash" areas with my rosacea. Strangely, the back of my neck is really itchy and I've never had a problem with that area flushing. Nor do I apply the Z cream there. Wonder if I should. Strange.

The Z cream no longer makes my eyes tear and doesn't burn when applying. It just kind of tingles. I am using the F cream in the morning. Washing twice per day with the soap. I really feared horrible drying, and I AM very dry...but not wrinkly dry, if you know what I mean. I am using something around my eyes & chapstick on my lips because those areas are really dry.

I have NO IDEA what all the above means. I've been diagnosed with rosacea, but no proof of mites. I just figured I had nothing to lose in trying the products and here I am. When my face is calm..which is more often than it has been in years, it is not nearly as red and my hubby tells me it looks much better in general. NOw if the itching would stop! I'm posting this at 2:30 a.m. because itching is disturbing my sleep! ha! I hope it means i"m killing mites and getting better, as opposed to just meaning that my skin is dry, therfore it itches!

I surely wish someone with few pimples & heavy redness & flushing constantly would see the posts by Nic and me and pipe in with some advice or encouragment that we are on the right track! Maybe there are just that few of us around.

Anyway, I'm hanging in for the long run.

Beth