Newbie has questions

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

Liz

Newbie has questions

Post by Liz »

Hello!

I'm new to this website and forum, as of today! I'm thrilled to find it. I've suffered from Rosacea since 1988. I was 28 at that time. I'm now 44, and that's 16+ years of problems. For the first few years, I thought I had developed an allergic reaction to alcohol. I noticed the rosacea when I would drink my weekly margarita on Saturday night at our favorite Mexican restaurant. Over the course of a couple of years, I just gave up on my margaritas because the result made me so miserable that it wasn't worth it. I experienced SEVERE flaming and itching everytime I drank one. Unfortunately, the flaming never really went away even though I gave up my margaritas. It occured in extreme temperatures (hot and cold weather - or going from a heated house into cold weather - or from an air-conditioned house into hot weather). As the years passed, it became worse and worse. When I was under some kind of emotional duress, the flaming would start. It was becoming unbearable, and I got the the point in my mid-30s that I often stayed home because it was so embarassing. I eventually ran into someone who told me I had rosacea so I went to the dermatologist. He put me on tetracycline and metro-gel. The antibiotic was a joke. It didn't help, and the metro-gel really tore my skin up. I have extremely sensitive skin (very fair) and the metro-gel STUNG and BURNED terribly on contact with my skin...to the point that I evenutally decicded I'd rather have rosacea than suffer with that stuff. In all honesty, I just ignored the rosacea after that time, and tried to get along with it as best I could. As some of you will know, it has limited my life and life-style VERY MUCH. There are things I won't do now and events I sometimes choose to avoid because my Rosacea is out of control and embarassing. I flame CONSTANTLY now. I don't have to have a reason (temp. extremes, alcohol, spicy foods or even stress or emotional duress). I can be calmly watching TV or reading a book and suddenly I'll flame out on my face, neck and chest. It was a while before my neck and chest became involved, but they have been for a few years now. I do have pimples, but on my cheeks only. They are constantly present...right in the center of my cheeks. The do itch. My face is always red now...even when I'm not actually having an "attack." I see LOTS Of broken tiny blood vessels in my cheeks, around my nose area and my chin. Suffice it to say, this situation is past being "bad" and I'd really like to give the products on this website a try. My questions involve the major flaming I experience every day now. As I said, it is triggered by stress, emotions, alcohol, spicy foods and temperature extremes. Of course, in recent years it has gotten so bad that those triggers don't have to exist for me to flame on a daily basis. Can mites do this? Could I have a type of rosacea that doesn't involve mites? The main reason I think I may have mites is because of the itchy pimples that NEVER go away. I didn't really read anything on the website that addresses the flaming involved with rosacea, and all the trigger than can cause it. When I flame, I get VERY hot and it almost makes me sick. For those that might wonder, it's NOT menopause. I'm positive of that. I don't have hot-flashes...it's all due to the rosacea, and has been going on for 16 years now. Any advice would be SO greatly appreciated. Also, any advice on which exact products to purchase for my situation would be helpful too. I'm not sure what to try. Also, I do worry about my sensitive skin and the products. It's hard to make yourself apply medication (metro-gel) if it burns like fire, and I'm certain that it will dry out my skin. I have dry skin to start with. I honestly think it's due to the constant heat on my face. I'm so happy to have found this website and the possible cause of my ever-worsening rosacea! I'm also excited there may be products that can help me.

Thank you, Liz
Robbin Mann

creams

Post by Robbin Mann »

Liz

I will be the first to tell you that the zz cream does feel like menthol on your face. Although after using it over a month now, it has no effect on me. It doesn't even make my eyes water anymore. What I have done is to run a little water while I am applying it. I take my wet fingers and put them in the zz cream and then spread it over my face. Not only has this made it last a long time but it didn't hurt as bad. Still, if your face is very sensitive be careful at first. Go very slowly and work your way up. The xfm cream doesn't burn at all although you will notice that your face will start to dry out after about 3-4 days. It's like the dead skin cells are just sloughing off. It doesn't last very long though. Believe me, once you start seeing your pimples disappear and your pores getting smaller, you will be able to handle a little dead skin! Now I don't have any dry skin. My skin is as beautiful as it was before this nightmare ever began. Welcome to the forum and best of luck to you.
Azfireangel
alyst

Post by alyst »

liz,

just wanted to let you know that your situation sounds very similar to mine. i have extrememly sensitive skin and rosacea. from what i have read on this forum people have many different reactions to the creams and the improvement time is varied as well. in my own case (with rosacea), i have been on the creams for a little over a month and still have rosacea in the same areas (cheeks and nose) and also get itchy bumps and my face, which started last year and drove me crazy. for a time after starting the creams, my skin was way worse than i had ever experienced before - whiteheads, red bumps, flaking skin, rashes (sesitive skin i think) even though i used less product with water - but i can tell that progress is being made on my skin - the initial breakouts have calmed down, though i do still get whiteheads (i see as a good sign that the mites are dying and coming to the surface). the zz cream is definitely less intense now than it was, although i still get teary (my eyes are really sensitive) and the fumaling cream is extrememly drying and with my skin - i had to use along with cetaphil because of the severe rashes i experienced on my neck and ears. fyi from what i've read on the forum - using lotion or aloe vera or oils might make the treatment take a bit longer. the fumaling cream has metrondozole like metrogel (which i never had an extreme reaction to when i was prescribed it long ago - it didn't do a thing for my ros.), and you sound like your skin is more sensitive than mine so who knows how yours will react to the products, but if it works for you in the long run, it'll all be worth it. i would definitely try it, but just be aware that most people get worse before they get better and fantastic results in one month are a bit rare from what i've read. i wish my skin looked great now, but i am in this for the long haul.... with hopes of clearing up the red tomato and getting back to peaches and cream. good luck!
Walter

Post by Walter »

Yes, eliminating demodex mites is not se easy and can involve some time, key to success is not to give up and if the skin is to sensitive only use as much as your skin can handle, even if you can only use a tiny bit you will make progress and your skin will become stronger again in time so you will be able to use a bit more.
Don't become disappointed if it gets worse in the beginning, that's normal and actually a sign that the treatment is working and you are killing the mites.

Walter
Liz

Post by Liz »

Thank you Azfireangel, alyst and Walter! I appreciate your responses. I'm really happy to be here, and can't wait to get the products. I do believe due to my very sensitive skin that I'll have to build up to full use...but I have nothing but time to do it! I've had this 16 years, and if it takes 6 months to a year to clear up, and gets worse in the mean-time, I'm willing to tackle it! the end result is something I'm looking forward to. Rosacea has really impacted my life in a negative way.

Thanks again!

Liz :-)