Adverse reaction to ZZ cream or Rosacea reaction?

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

maggie

Adverse reaction to ZZ cream or Rosacea reaction?

Post by maggie »

Walter - could you please provide an answer for me?

I am a new user of the ZZ cream (on day 8 now). I also have rosacea with very sensitive skin. But my rosacea has been under control for the past year (redness pretty much gone, etc.) and skin clear. I'd had painful papules when first diagnosed but then used antibiotics and metrocream. When I changed my diet a yr ago to organic foods, NO dairy, NO sugar, NO processed foods and began drinking 64 ozs of water daily - that is when my rosacea came under control.
BUT 6 wks ago, my dermatalogist did a biopsy on what she thought was a precancerous lesion. The test came back negative but stated there was a demodex mite. That is when I went on line and found that if there is one, then there are many! I decided to use the ZZ cream and acarid soap and DS shampoo. (The dermatologist had just prescribed premethrin cream to rub on the spot each PM for a wk.)
I use the acarid soap AM & PM and a thin smear of the ZZ cream at PM. My face began itching the next day along my jawline and forehead. Now at day 8 the redness of my face is back and my forehead is somewhat lumpy and itchy and my facial skin feels thick again. It is also very itchy with small red bumps alond the jawline. AND my skin is extremely dry and now flaking. When I put on the ZZ cream it feels like icy fire for about 5 minutes.
Are the redness, thick-feeling skin, rash-like areas on my jawline and forehead my rosacea flaring up again due to the ZZ cream and having an adverse reaction like the enclosed paper states; pruritus or rash? How would I know if it is pruritus, rash or demodex?

I certainly don't want to be creating a worse situation! Please advise me as I'm not sure what to do.

Confused and dismayed! :(
red47

Fumanling WITHOUT Metronidazole

Post by red47 »

Hey there,

Is the Cosmetic Fumanling cream without metronidazole effective at killing demodex mites, just not as good as ZZ/Fumanling+metronidazole?
Or will it do nothing to the mites at all :( ?

Cheers :)
maggie

Post by maggie »

Thanks for your reply!
From what I've read - it's not. (But I may be remembering wrong.) I chose not to use the ZZ/Fumanling+metronidazole (or w/o metronidazole) as there was already mention that it bothered some people's skin. As mine is sensitive already I didn't want to add something that might be a problem. So - I've just been using the Acarid soap AM/PM and the ZZ cream at PM. I don't think the soap is the problem as I used it by itself for a few days and there was no problem with itchiness, etc. Then I added the ZZ cream to the regimine and then the dry, flakey, constant itchiness began. (I'm putting calamine lotion on the jawline on forehead to relieve the itchiness.)
That's why I want to be sure that I am not having an adverse reaction like the brochure mentions. If so, I don't want to create more problems with my rosacea in the effort to rid myself of the demodex.

Walter - can you please advise?

Thank you!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I dont think you're having an adverse reaction Maggie, sounds pretty typical of many people's experience on this board when they first start using the z cream- sounds to me like the Z cream is doing its job and killing off the mites, hence the increased irritation on your skin. For me, this period lasted about 2 weeks before my skin cleared, for others it has been longer. I guess you can see now why some people decide the cream isn't for them, as this transitional period can be quite distressing in terms of how your skin looks - but it should be worth it if you persevere.
Millie

Post by Millie »

Sounds like the reaction I had - itchy and dry for many many days!

Don't remember what day I am on - still controlling the flushing and some redness.

Had a small outbreak around my period - could it have been the six pieces of chocolate cake??????!!!
nicsunflower

Post by nicsunflower »

I'm on day 29 of z-cream and acarid soap and my cheeks are still redder than they were before I started the treatment. I also still have dry, itchy flakey skin, but that seems to have improved somewhat..maybe. I can relate to your uncertainty as to whether the reaction is because its working or if its an allergy. My nose (which is more of an issue) seems to be tolerating it fine (no increased redness or flaking). I wish there was a way to do an allergy skin test with this stuff, but you'd probably need to go to an allergist who can put the solution together and inject it under the skin. I'm going to try and persevere for 4 months, but I think only time will tell as to whether it will work or if it is just that my skin's not tolerating it. Considering a lot of people go through this type of reaction, it brings me at least some comfort that its not just my skin having an allergic reaction. I wish you luck
Nic
maggie

Post by maggie »

Thank you Mikey, Millie and Nicsunflower for your helpful and encouraging comments. I'll hang in there, but it's tough not knowing if you truly are helping or hurting the situation. I've read some other topics and comments and read where some people are trying emu oil or regenacell to help control the dryness. I thought I might try one of those for AM only but again am not certain if that also feeds the mites. Does anyone know?

Thanks!
tkr

Post by tkr »

HI Maggie, I have not heard from walter in a while, so hmmm maybe he is out and about. Anyway,This can possibly be an allergic reaction, or the z cream working, I really feel walter is more experienced in this area. Sometimes allergies can cause serious itchiness, wheezing, hives, welches.......perhaps put the z cream in another area (not your face) and see if you get red and rashy there. In the meantime, it is a tricky thing o detect, so hopefully walter can better assist you to be sure. I hope you are not allergic to sulpher. There was also someone on here who had to get off the z cream due to a reaction to the mint, so u never know
tamara
maggie

Post by maggie »

Thanks Tamara for your suggestion. I'll try the ZZ cream on another area (neck & chest) and see if is happens there as well. I still used it last night but I'm 'wary'. But even if it doesn't react on the other areas, it could still mean that the rosacea is being aggravated and flaring up again.
I'm hoping Walter will respond sometime soon!

Thanks again!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I think if you have rosacea too your skin is definitely going to be a lot more sensitive - as you've aready said in your first post. I too have rosacea and hypersensitive skin, so I have to be very careful about what I put on my skin, as even the supposedly mildest topical reddens my face. The z cream contains ingredients that kill of mites, so it's potent stuff! When I initially started, I applied it morning AND night, and just found that too strong. If you 'just' have run-of-the-mill acne, the whole regime of Z cream plus the acarid soap would probably not irritate your skin as much as we rosaceans. I think that maybe the acarid soap plus the z cream could be too much for you, so maybe consider returning to your original preferred cleanser/daily moisturiser and carry on just using the Z cream at night, and se what happens? Your clearing process may take a bit longer, but hoefully your skin would be less irritated along the way :)
maggie

Post by maggie »

Thanks Mikey - Being a sensitive 'rosacean' does make it more difficult. I'm seriously considering just using the acarid soap, but I'm still going to give the ZZ cream a total of 2 wks. My face is flaking all over now and itchy and feels 'thick'. I haven't felt this way in well over a year (but never had the dry flakiness with it!)

Thanks Again!
Walter

Post by Walter »

Hello Maggie

Sorry for the late answer, even how much I would like, it is impossible for me to answer all the time people’s questions,
just no time enough for it.

Eliminating demodex mites is not so easy as it may sound, there can become many kind of complications
the first weeks, by killing those mites massively all their bacteria and toxins are released in your skin and you
can imagine, if you have already a sensitive sick skin this can cause troubles so that is why better to start slowly,
less is always better in the beginning, don’t use more then your skin can handle, gradually, you will be able to
use more.
Knowing this, you can understand why it can be normal your rosacea flairs up now, by killing the mites you
make it even worse then before, more bacteria, toxins, allergens, but there is no other way.
Of course, it is always possible you are allergic to sulfur but you can easily test that on your chest for example,
If nothing happens there, then you are not allergic, the neck is not a good place to test, the skin there is even more sensitive then
The facial skin.
As you can read many times in the forum messages, most of the time, this dry skin problem disappears in time, don’t expect
to have results in a couple of weeks, it can take time, some people have so fast result but that’s not a general rule.

Try to use not to much, only in the evening and don’t use anything else besides moisturizer during the day if that makes your skin feel better.

Walter
maggie

Post by maggie »

Thank you Walter for your help.

As my rosacea was under control and I had no other problems (other than the dermatalogist report said there'd been a demodex mite on a tissue sample) I am thinking that if they weren't giving me a 'visible' problem before, then maybe I should just use the acarid soap in the PM and the DS shampoo to keep them 'under control' versus trying to totally eliminate them. (I have a horse, two mini-donkeys, a dog and 2 cats so total elimination is probably out of the question anyway.)

Rosacea flareups can get progressively worse and even if the mites are destroyed, my face could still suffer from the rosacea irritation for a long time.

Do you think the acarid soap and DS shampoo would keep things under control?

Thank you again!