Cigarette smoke & chemicals

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

flamingogreetings

Cigarette smoke & chemicals

Post by flamingogreetings »

does anyone react with serious flushing in the presence of cigarette smoke (even just a little) or chemicals? As I've said in a few previous posts, I've been diagnosed with rosacea for 20 years. It began with a crisis in my late 20s which kicked in severe emotions for quite some time (an unexpected death). Anyway, it has progressed seriously...but with only the occasional pimple outbreak. No serious cysts or pastules. Anyway, 20 years down the road I am always beet red...and flush constantly. Sometimes during stressful periods or the usual triggers (heat, cold, etc.) my face can get so red it looks purple. The heat involved is amazing.

However, cigarette smoke and chemcial fumes (strong household cleansers: ammonia or bleach), including perfume and after shave really give me awful rosacea attacks. I have major reactions to being in the presence of fumes of any kind. Just getting on an elevator with someone wearing too much perfume can wreak havoc on my rosacea...even though I'm only in the same space as she is for a few minutes at most. I have to avoid even restaurants where smoking is allowed. It also really tears me up.

Just wondered if others experience this too?

Beth
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Hi Beth.

Cant say that cigarette smoke or chemicals aggravate my rosacea, or at least I dont think they did, my face was permanently red so maybe I wouldnt know, however... over the last few years, I found myself getting increasingly intolerant to cigarette smoke - to the point where it was making me feel absolutely sick to the stomach - and also chemicals, e.g. walking by someone with a strong perfume, I'd start sneezing non-stop etc.

When I went through all the symptoms I wanted to tackle with my nutritional therapist just over a yr ago, I of course mentioned the roasea and the blemishes, but also what I called my 'weird allergies'. She told me that chemical/tobacco smoke intolerance were candida symptoms! Hence I went on her candida program, and then later onto Bee Wilder's Yahoo group based Candida/Healing diet... so, if you'll forgive the pun, this may be food for thought for you?

Mike
flamingogreetings

Post by flamingogreetings »

Thanks Mike. I took the test on her site and I definitely don't have candida- not even close. It definitely is a rosacea reaction because my face can be calm (although it is always different shades of a permanent red) and then I get around smoke or strong chemical odors and my face flares terribly and itches like mad. When I get away it eventually calms down. Like I said, weird!

Even though I don't have candida, her diet is very healthy and I think it would be good for anyone. I joined her forum and I've been reading like mad. Right now, I'm doing Brady's diet, which is a lot like hers. I am determined to get this under control. I live in New Orleans, the home of creole cuisine, cajun cuisine and the best seafood in the world. Salt and pepper to is code for unseasoned! So you can imagine the shock of Brady's bland diet! haha. However, I'm determined. I want to get rid of the rosacea more than I want to eat well flavored food..at least for a while. I do, however, think that once all this is under control, carbs will be permanently reduced in my diet. Don't want to feed mites ever again.

Thanks for responding.

Beth
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Fair enough - I'm glad you don't have candida issues, but I thought it was worth a mention. You're right about Bee's diet being good for overall healing. I followed it to the letter for pretty much 8.5 months. For the last 6 months or so, I've just followed a low carb, low gi diet. It's good to eat healthily, but life's too short to be ridiculously strict :)

Is your skin hypersensitive to topicals? For example, as my rosacea progressed, I couldnt even apply the mildest of moisturisers without it irritating my skin. Even supposed fragrance and chemical free topicals irritated my skin. I guess your skin could be in that stage now? Other than that, I don't really know, as my skin problem was (is) always more of a P&P with permanent redness problem, rather than flushing/blushing (which I still experience, though to a much lesser degree now).

You say your face is super hot when you flush? Mine was too - and my arms were always cold. I had some reflexology sessions and that definitely helped yo improve my circulation. Have you ever looked into anything like that?