BENZYL BENZOATE

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

sandy

BENZYL BENZOATE

Post by sandy »

Has anyone tried this? I am having good results with DS products, but was also wondering about this.
crzyakta

Post by crzyakta »

bump
Jen

Post by Jen »

Interesting that this has been bumped. MightyMite e-mailed me on Monday about using BB along with ZZ and is having great results. I'll let you tell the story MM!

I'm due to reply to your e-mail MM but thought I would mention here, the conversation I had with my Pharmacist today. I knew BB rangs bells - alarm bells - for Rosaceans! Anyway, BB is, as my Pharmacist said, an Acne treament - Benzyl Peroxide. Whilst it may help initially to clear up 'spots', the long term affect may well be unfavourable. It may well be too harsh for Rosacea skin, so I would urge caution for long term use. It can perhaps be likened to Retin A Gel - yup, it clears up the 'spots' quickly but on sensitive Rosacea skin, long term, not a good idea.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jen
Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

hi jen and all,
hum,, benzol peroxide. did you say it clears the spots!! i plan to ask my pharmacist today. I wonder if you can buy the stuff without a prescription. i have a zillion brown spots and i look like heck to say the least. i also have rosacea.to be real I don't know if I really do or not. my face use to get red but not anymore. i actually change dermatologist and I will be seeing an new one next week. I been using demodex solution now for two months with ups and down but, i plan to stay with the treatment. i hope i have success as others had.
crzyakta

Post by crzyakta »

BB and BP are not the same thing
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Agreed - they're different things. BB is an insecticide - that I guess works similarly to the Boric Acid element of the Z cream? Whereas BP is the anti-acne cream that we all know about.

BP is strong stuff, like Jen says, but saying that if you are going to use it, you can get it in lower concentrations i.e. I have only ever used 2.5% BP gel, which I could use with minimal irritation (it does make your skin red), whereas you can buy it over the counter up to 10% I think, where the irritation it will cause on your skin will be much more harsh.

Whether you should use it together with the Z cream though, I can't say.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Ah, I should have done some more reading of my own before posting what my local Pharmacist said. Perhaps he didn't hear me properly? It's always busy in there.

Anyway, sorry to jump the gun on that one. I'll spend the time reading up now and will e-mail my Dad, who is a Pharmacist. At least it will be in written form, so no danger of being mis-heard.

Jen
miteymite

Post by miteymite »

Jen
Yup its Benzyl Benzoate, not benzyl peroxide. I have been using it along with zcream for going on 3 weeks now and have been getting very good results, my face seems to be clear during the day and I have lost that red look after I eat, triggers seem to still be very small if any. BB is hydrophobic so it acts as a moisturizer in a strange fashion, though Iam experimenting on the formulation of BB in various vehicles it will still be some time before I get the process perfected. Iam also researching adverse effects of BB on human skin and systemic absorption complications, which I have found unless you have a huge gaping wound on your face will not be a problem because systemic absorption is very little to none. Its the long term effects that need to be studied and a good delivery vehicle for the topical formulation. patent pending. ; )
John
Jen

Post by Jen »

Tiffany wrote:hi jen and all,
hum,, benzol peroxide. did you say it clears the spots!! i plan to ask my pharmacist today. I wonder if you can buy the stuff without a prescription. i have a zillion brown spots and i look like heck to say the least. i also have rosacea.to be real I don't know if I really do or not. my face use to get red but not anymore. i actually change dermatologist and I will be seeing an new one next week. I been using demodex solution now for two months with ups and down but, i plan to stay with the treatment. i hope i have success as others had.
Hi Tiffany

Benzyl Peroxide, as far a I understand, will NOT clear brown spots. I was referring to pimples/papules/pustules. Having said that, I DON'T recommend it! I made the mistake of confusing Benzyl Peroxide with the topic subject - Benzyl Benzoate. I guess my local Pharmacist didn't hear me clearly when I asked?!

Do stick with the DS treatment you are on. As you have seen from my photos, I went through a horror time in the beginning but got through it. For me, it has been worth it.

Ah, positive thinking helps too - believe it or not! Yeah, I know that sounds daft but it does help! :)

Jen
Jen

Post by Jen »

miteymite wrote:Jen
Yup its Benzyl Benzoate, not benzyl peroxide. I have been using it along with zcream for going on 3 weeks now and have been getting very good results, my face seems to be clear during the day and I have lost that red look after I eat, triggers seem to still be very small if any. BB is hydrophobic so it acts as a moisturizer in a strange fashion, though Iam experimenting on the formulation of BB in various vehicles it will still be some time before I get the process perfected. Iam also researching adverse effects of BB on human skin and systemic absorption complications, which I have found unless you have a huge gaping wound on your face will not be a problem because systemic absorption is very little to none. Its the long term effects that need to be studied and a good delivery vehicle for the topical formulation. patent pending. ; )
John
Hi John

Ah, it sounds very scientific! Patent pending, huh! Brilliant! Systemic absorption is something I've never really considered with a topical. Very interesting.

Hey, good luck with it.

Jen
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

miteymite wrote:Yup its BB is hydrophobic
John
What does that mean - it is scared of water? :lol: Sorry, couldnt resist :oops:

In addition to the Z cream, I also usually apply (i.e. when I remember, but recently, more consistently) a thin layer of a cream called Sudocrem, last thing before going to bed in the evening. I didn't realise but... this cream contains 1% Benzyl Benzoate :shock: I was just using it as it has a high zinc percentage (15%). How interesting!
crzyakta

Post by crzyakta »

mikey how is your skin now? has the Sudocrem helped?
miteymite

Post by miteymite »

Hey Mikey
Thats exactly it scared of water just like oil, in the big world of chemistry its either hydrophobic or hydrophilic. Im tellin you theres something to this benzyl benzoate, good spot with the sudocream Mikey good luck with that, does it work well?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Well, I've used the Sudocrem cream before both on its own and in conjunction with other creams, and it definitely helps a bit, but I was never entirely/consistently clear.

The difference this time is that I've been using it in conjunction with the Z cream, and I'm not just consistently clear, my overall redness is also reduced, and I'm not reacting to things (sweets, alcohol) that were my worst triggers in the past.

By the way, I have no worries about using BB in this cream on my face, as Sudocrem is marketed primarily as a cream for... nappy rash :shock: It was brought to my attention on an eczema forum as something that can be used effectively for other skin conditions.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Hi Mikey

How do you apply Sudocrem? It's so thick! I worry that it might clog my pores and cause p&ps. If the combo of ZZ (for p&ps) and Sudocrem (for redness) does the trick, then I may just give it a go...especially since Sudocrem is cheap and I already have a few tubs here...yes for nappy rash - not mine! LOL

Thanks

Jen