Effect of sunlight on demodex mites?

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

Mikey

Effect of sunlight on demodex mites?

Post by Mikey »

Every time I go on holiday somwhere very sunny, my skin clears up drastically within the week - almost completely no spots, no blemishes, no redness. So I was just wondering, does sunlight kill demodex mites - is that what is happening?
blbase

Post by blbase »

I'll quote my dermatologist for this one.
"Sunlight kills bacteria"
I remember someone on this message board mentioning how in September all the kids came back to school with clear skin because they were under less stress in the summer. I remember thinking it had less to do with stress but more because they were spending more time outdoors.
The sun is damaging to the skin though so small doses and use sunscreen.
I don't know if you have acne or rosacea, I am a rosacea sufferer and even when my skin is clear sun screen can burn so I use a sunscreen made by Mineral Secrets for Rosaceans it doesn't burn at all and it works.
Hope this helps..
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Hi there.

I know that sunlight kills acne-causing bacteria, I just wondered whether it killed demodex mites too, given it clears up not just my acne, but also my other skin issues - eczema and redness.

I guess it's not important really, just something I suddenly wondered the more I have read up on demodex, and begun to think it's the cause of my problems.
Walter

Post by Walter »

The sun indeed kills bacteria but only on the surface from your skin, it is indeed so that many times acne gets lot better with the sun but most of the time it is only temporarily, the effect only lasts a couple of weeks or less, even if you keep on sun bathing, if sun would be the solution there would be no acne in very sunny places right?
In general, sun is bad for demodex mites, better to avoid to much sun so
for sure doesn’t kill demodex mites, they are to well hided and only surface in the evening.

Walter