New - Desperately need advice/information

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

LVK

New - Desperately need advice/information

Post by LVK »

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to this forum, and I guess I just really need some advice with my current situation. I'm sorry if this post is long but I could really use some support/advice from experienced Rosaceans.

I'm a 21 year old female that recently started having symptoms of rosacea (I shudder every time I have to spell out that word). However, due to some circumstances I haven't been able to go to a doctor/dermatologist to be officially diagnosed. The first thing I do want to do though is run some tests to rule out other conditions. I feel it's not that hard to diagnose...flushing/burning over the cheeks, takes a long time to subside at time...my case is pretty mild as of now. I'm not sure what even started it which bothers me...

Anyways, my main concern that has been really bothersome (it has affected my social life) is that I seem to have some sort of permanent edema/swelling on my cheeks beside my nose (nasolabial folds). It started when I picked at my face/pimples (I know that's a big no no, especially for rosaceans) but I did, and the redness went away (after picking) but the swelling never did!

Even with the flushing I did not really get any swelling like this, if I did it was very mild, not very noticeable...and I notice this a lot. It has made a big difference to my face and it's actually very depressing. I used to have tight facial skin, some dark circles under my eyes but I can live with that. Now I look horribly tired (the swelling makes my eyes look even more sunken in) and the swelling near my nasolabial folds has made me look different (at least to me) to the point where I avoid looking in the mirror.

Also, on the right side of my face it feels heavy...I can actually feel the edema by the corner of my mouth. The swelling is non-pitting (I usually get non-pitting edema anyways, for example in the morning when I wake up and I'm all puffy).

I've only had Rosacea symptoms for about a month...is this even normal to get this sort of swelling this early on? What drives me crazy is that I don't have answers/solution to this.

Doesn't it have to go away at some point? How can I drain it (if that's an option)? I really do not want to go on any type of medication...I just want my old face back :(

Thanks guys.
Walter

Re: New - Desperately need advice/information

Post by Walter »

Hello

You should indeed first rule out other conditions but it is possible that demodex mites are the reason.
It is a pity that most dermatologists don’t want/can do a demodex mite test, it is so simple, takes 5 minutes and costs almost nothing
but this is the way it is, I am confident this will change in future but this doesn’t help us now.
As I understand you don’t have only the redness/swelling but also spots?
Can you maybe mail us a picture from your face?

Walter
LVK

Post by LVK »

Hi Walter,

Thanks for getting back to me, I haven't been on here for a while because I wasn't getting any replies for quite some time. The swelling in my face has not gone away, however, the flushing is very mild (I hope it stays that way) and my skin is actually quite clear since using the Acarid Soap (I hope it stays that way also!). This morning thought I woke up with a small bump on my nose but I'm not sure if that's just a regular pimple or...a dreaded papule/pustule. I will see in a few days if it goes away. I do have the ZZ Cream but have not started using it regularly since I'm not sure if it's demodex or not...I have the cream just in case :D

That's about all I have to report for now...Mind you, everyone is telling me that they can't see anything wrong with my face...the swelling and flushing is very mild but I can notice it since it's my face!

I will post a picture soon...I'll try to find a good picture from before to compare it with.

Thanks Walter!
Walter

Post by Walter »

Hello

If I was you, since you have the ZZ anyway, use it,
you cannot do any wrong doing this.
Just use all over your face a tiny bit ZZ after washing in the evening
and leave it till next morning, the acarid soap is a help but not a treatment.

Walter