Link - Human infected with Demodex by Dog - Pictures

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

anja

Link - Human infected with Demodex by Dog - Pictures

Post by anja »

thought this might be of interest. Could be coincidental, but I started showing rash symptoms after handling my mangey-looking old dog, and I found this site while searching the net:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/dem.html#disappeared

hope this link works...
Marla

FRONTLINE!

Post by Marla »

Hi, anja:

It is no coincidence that you break out after cuddling with your pet.

Please consider putting your pet on a regular schedule with Frontline flea and tick treatment.

Look at your dog's eyes. Is there an accumulation of matter at the inner corner?

Look at your dog's ears. Is there an accumulation of dark musty smelling waxy substance?

Look at your dog's private parts. Is there a dark coating around the important parts, and maybe the hairs are easily removed in clumps around that area?

Use the Frontline treatment and that will all go away.

Veterinarians puzzle over these complaints every day. They say it's diet. Cut the corn from the diet. Allergies, put the dog on another food. Wait until another season arrives. Genetics. Blame it on dirt. Blame the owner for not keeping the dog clean enough. Put the dog on fatty acid supplements. Cod liver oil. Whatever . . . But nobody wants to put the dog on Frontline to see what happens, because the package says it's only for ticks and fleas, and your dog does not have ticks and fleas.

But it works for Demodex and the associated problems.

See if it works for your pet. Coincidentally, you will have fewer outbreaks, especially around your cheekbones, since that's where the dog puts it's eyes and head when you cuddle.

Hmmm. Well? It works for me. I hope it works for you. :)

--Marla
anja

demodex in my dog, also hygiene

Post by anja »

Hi Marla, thanks for your reply and suggestions. Since neither of us were tested, I can't be totally sure that my dog & I both have Demodex, but I suspect that to be the case.

As to treating her with Frontline, she is a 15 1/2 year old yorkie who has been in kidney failure since at least last October, and she's only about 4 pounds, now. We have to give her subcutaneous injections to flush out toxins since her kidneys aren't working, and I don't think she could handle any kind of drug, now. We have always done homeopathics and natural stuff with her, and I think that's the reason she was in good health up until recently. Well, as good of health as you can expect from a toy pure bred. If I did anything, I would want to do it topically. She doesn't have the symptoms you mentioned, but she does get very itchy and red around her mouth and eyes, with hair loss, and also a red, dandruffy strip with hair loss down the middle of her back. She also chews at her feet and legs. No fleas or ticks, though. It's really sad to watch this opportunistic parasite take over, but we're doing everything we can to support her nutritionally to boost her immune system, and I think it's too late for any kind of medical/drug intervention. I am going to call the vet tomorrow to see if there is anything we can do topically to make her more comfortable. We are amazed she's still with us (she almost died last October), and you can tell she's not ready to go just yet - personally I think she hangs on for the snacks! I want to keep her comfortable, but not poison her in the process.

Anyway, I've been reading your posts - thanks for sharing your progress and experiences with the products. Do you have any suggestions for dry skin with the ZZ cream? I have not been perfect with the hygiene aspect -I am crazy busy these days and washing towels and pillowcases daily is a major chore for me. I am actually wondering why that's necessary if the cream is supposed to kill them - I would imagine if they're falling off into the pillow, they'd be dead, but maybe better safe than sorry. I have only had a problem on my face, but I can't help wondering if they are elsewhere, like chest & back, just not symptomatic, and when I stop the ZZ in a few months, whether they'll crawl north once the coast is clear!

The other problem is that my boyfriend probably has them, though he breaks out rarely, I see maybe 3 zits a year on him. I can't imagine how he could not have them if I do, and I'm afraid he's going to just re-infect me. I know he won't use the cream, either. I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it, but I'm not excited about being dependent on these products indefinitely if he won't do the program himself.

Thanks again.
Marla

Take Care of Yourself First.

Post by Marla »

Hi, anja:

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. As with you, my days are consumed with hair-raising tasks. Still, I have been thinking about what I can add to your experiences with Demodex.

The best thing I can recommend is that you treat yourself for now. With the barrier of Demodex Solutions' products, you should do well.

Let other things in your life play themselves out naturally. You have a beloved doggie who needs you. When you find the time, then you can be more aggressive in your pursuit of sources of re-infestation.

If I recall correctly, you questioned the value of tending upholstry and bedding. The mites have eggs inside of them. The mite dies, but the eggs do not. If the eggs are fertile and mature, they remain in the fabric until mechanically transported into a hospitable environment. There, they hatch.

And so it goes. As long as you keep the Demodex Solutions' products on your skin, you stand a good chance of beating this regardless of other factors.

Easy does it, and take care of yourself first. Drink plenty of water. Wash your skin thoroughly twice a day. Morning first thing, and evening last thing is most important. Let the "dryness" stabilize as your skin becomes more healthy. It will.

--Marla
flower

Post by flower »

here is a question for anyone out there...i would love to hear from marla and walter also....
i have a friend with a small dog who has been suffering abysmally from mange. He has been dipped repeatedly with mitaban with no help for his itching.
he rubs his face so hard in the gravel of the driveway that it bleeds...
anyway, i felt so badly for the poor thing that i referred my friend to this site with the recommendation that she also apply the frontline she had handy.
after some research , i found that there are two types of mange....
1) sarcoptic mange which is a type of scabies and for which frontline is sopposed to be helpful
and 2)demodetic mange which is supposedly not helped by frontline.

well...she used the frontline for about a week and the dog is fifty percent better. she has an appointment with the (clueless, in my opionion) vet next week.

i advised her to ask the vet to ascertain what type of mite the dog has, and to order the demodex solutions shampoo to help the critter without killing it with pesticides.
my question, walter, is---do you think the shampoo will be helpful for teddy?(the dog!)
i think this is the first dog question yet, eh? let me know what you think....thanks to all from teddy :D
flower
Marla

All kinds of guesses.

Post by Marla »

The Frontline will help. I don't know how it does, but it does. Since the medication migrates into the sebaceous glands and fatty tissue, there is good reason to surmise that Demodex sp. is deterred -- perhaps even killed. It is poison, but not so much for the dog as it is for humans.

In fact, I have seen this happen many times. All else fails, and the Frontline works. I keep repeating myself to people until they have gone their way and exhausted all other conventional means of control.

A week is not enough time. Wait out the recommended interval, and re-treat according to the package directions. Continue without interruption until the infestation is gone. Then, be alert to signs of re-infestation, and re-treat at longer intervals if the condition is not complicated or severe.

Rubbing in the dirt, where people empty their vacuums, and animals tread, is a good way to become infested with micro-organisms of many kinds. A dog's ears and eyes, as well as the hospitable private parts pick up mites. The mites find the environment in those places excellent for growth and reproduction.

It is doubtful, but possible that a veterinarian will take you seriously when you mention Demodex.

Scabies is another thing entirely. That needs to be seen by a veterinarian ASAP.

Warning: USE FRONTLINE AS DIRECTED ON THE PACKAGE. ANY OTHER USE COULD RESULT IN HARM.

An extra tip: Use Lysol spray on the dog's bedding and resting places. Also use it on your own bedding and upholstery.

Sincerely,
Marla