Has this happened to anyone else?

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

gettingbetter

Has this happened to anyone else?

Post by gettingbetter »

Has anyone had this reaction?

I love the ZZ cream but something in it doesn't love me. After starting to use the ZZ ointment, the glands in my neck started to feel swollen. The bridge of my nose aches and the inside passage seems swollen. I have a slight headache and my eyes ache. There is a feeling of having a weight on my chest. This is after only three days of using the creams. Don't know if it is actually something in the mixture that is causing it or if it is just the scent of something in the mixture. I have allergies to scents (cleaning fluids, perfume, smoke) so that is a possibility.

The XFML cream made my skin turn red and itch so I used just the ZZ cream.....but because of the gland reaction, I used the XFML cream last night instead. It made my face a bit redder but it didn't itch so I think I will try to use just that at night and nothing in the morning for a while just to see what happens.

From what I have read, my rosacea would be considered "mild." I don't want it to get worse though and killing the mites seems like the way to go so............I have to figure out something.

The mite killing ingredient in the XFML cream seems to be the 3% metronidazole (I'm figuring that is correct because the XFML cream without the metronidazole is used to beautify the skin and not treat it for mites). My family doctor gave me a prescription for 1% metronidazole. Would using just that for a longer period also kill the mites? Any thoughts/research?

Help.
gettingbetter

Re: Has this happened to anyone else?

Post by gettingbetter »

Rosie,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Yes, I will follow up on your suggestion and reintroduce the ZZ cream only at night every few days.

Took a short walk today and felt the itch rising up on my face. Wonder if that will ever go away when the mites go away? Would be nice wouldn't it?.......then you can get back to your yoga too!

Take care.
gettingbetter.....maybe!
gettingbetter

Post by gettingbetter »

Hi Rosie,

I did as you suggested and went back to the ZZ ointment last night. I also saw in another post to put the ointment on right before going to bed and close your eyes immediately so the menthol fumes don't irritate. I did that and it seemed to help. My eyeballs weren't aching this morning.....and I seemed to be breathing OK. Maybe this will work? Certainly I can see the difference in my skin overnight. Hope so. Didn't use any medicated product this morning. Am taking it slow as you suggested.

There is another reason why I can't use the XFML cream. There is a slight scent in the cream that makes my swell up inside (a typical reaction for me if I am allergic to a scent). So it's the ZZ ointment or .....? I have been reading some more about tea tree oil. Apparently tea tree oil can kill mites as well (based on what I have read) but you can't use it straight on your skin. I found a face cream with 5% tea tree oil and may try that if I can't tolerate the ZZ. I have also found that a few drops of 100% tea tree oil diluted in water and splashed on your face helps bring some relief from the itching. Tea tree oil is a natural antibiotic, analgesic, and anti-fungicide. When I have itching during the day, I dab a little on the spot. I happen to like the smell but many people can't tolerate it.

How are things going for you?

Best wishes,
Nina
gettingbetter

Post by gettingbetter »

Thanks, Rosie. I feel the same having your support. Appreciate your recommendation to email Walter directly. I actually did a few days ago but have had no reply. I sent my email to the "questions" address. Maybe I will resend to the "info" address. I was disappointed not to hear back.

I just had a curious happening. I was quietly sitting outside in the shade....cool afternoon...having a happy conversation with my son. I could feel my face and ears flushing. My son said indeed I was getting red. I was also getting hot in those areas. Think I was having a reaction to something I ate for lunch. Don't know what but need to figure it out.

That leads to the question is my rosacea caused by mites or by a gastro issue? I never did test for mites (did you?)

Glad to hear you are leaning toward the "better" rather than the "worse."

Take care.
Nina
gettingbetter

Post by gettingbetter »

Hi Rosie,

Thanks once again for your support. I wrote Walter at the "info" email address and still have heard nothing. He must be away or something. Don't know.

I will look into the holistic testing. Appreciate the suggestion.

BTW, the instructions for both creams say to boost your immune system while doing the treatment. I typically take the amount of B2 they recommend. I also take emergenC and blue elderberry lozenges. Have you any feeling though of why that is so important? I am generally not feeling well....like I'm coming down with the flu or something. Do you think it could be because of a reaction of the mites to the cream that is compromising my immune system? There must be a specific reason why they put that in their instructions but they don't explain the reason. I'd like to know.

How are things going for you?

Best wishes,
Nina
gettingbetter

Post by gettingbetter »

Wow, Rosie, that's a terrific progress report. 80% gone. May it continue to improve.

I got some of your suggested sea buckthorn to take internally and apply externally. Hope it helps.

Take care.
Nina
gettingbetter

Post by gettingbetter »

Thanks for the clarification Rosie.

I purchased the 100% therapeutic grade sea buckthorn oil from Sibu. Also got their soap and a tasty sea buckthorn tonic to drink. Purchased it from iherb.com as they had the best price. Was told to use very little of the oil and to apply it on a moistened face for ease of spreading. Can't say I love the smell of the oil but if it helps, I'll try it.

I tried the ZZ ointment again last night after stopping for a few days. Immediately I had chills and a sense of glands swelling and constriction in my throat. I'm afraid I am just allergic to it. I am truly sorry because clearly after that first night it appeared to be helping a lot.

When retiring for the night, if there is a really itchy spot I dab it with derma E's Tea Tree and Vitamin E oil. That stops the itch immediately. Have to be careful with tea tree oil though. Not good for your face especially in higher percentages. The derma E product is 75% tea tree and 25% vitamin E. A little high based on what I have read so I use it sparingly.

Nina