Suddenly awfully smelly scalp specially after shampooing

For all scalp related problems, post here

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

miss

Suddenly awfully smelly scalp specially after shampooing

Post by miss »

yes I know it sounds weird :shock: , I didn't know this existed until yesterday. My boyfriend told me my hair suddenly smells of rotten eggs, burnt hair, and yeast. Even I myself can smell it, it's unbearable :cry: .

Maybe this is caused by candida? Could it be caused by Demodex mites, of which I learned today from your website? I am searching desperately for the cause of this undescribable smell.

I have systemic candida (I think), have read quite a lot on the subject, though doctors tell me systemic candida doesn't exist. :?

Anyway, I have had itchy ears, prickly body skin and hurting privates, as well as air-filled tummy for years. Until now, I've never smelled bad, my boyfriend says. On the contrary he tells me I'm too clean. I take two showers a day scrub with soap all over, and wash my hair every other day with dandruff shampoo. I have to look and dress smart for my job. But how can I feel smart with this smell? I feel miserable! Please tell me if you've ever heard of such a thing! Thank you!!! :wink:
miss

Post by miss »

two days later: scalp problem seems solved for now.

here is a report of what I tried, it seems to work.

dynamite treatment masque for the night, several nights:
-Kelual D5 shampoo by Ducray
-plenty of white vinegar (acis treatment is good for demodex mites too, I read elsewhere on the net)
-essential thyme oil
-acne tonic Effederm

(to rinse off, have some Elsève hair mask available, as this treatment dries your hair). Even tried some lavender laundry softener: very good for rinsing out smells!

in the daytime: spray with Biseptine / other antiseptic for candida.

internally:
zinc capsules
capsules for systemic candida

diet: no sugar, no white flour

wish me luck. take care.
Marla

Sebum

Post by Marla »

Excess sebum stinks when combined with perspiration and oxidized by the air.

Sebum can contain the waste excreted by mites. [Edited: "excreted" was mis-used by me in an attempt to explain the cast-off waste of metabolism. My apologies.] It can also contain the remains of dead organisms, among other waste products.

Many skin problems involving the sebaceous glands can be solved by eliminating the Demodex mites. Treating my complexion with Demodex Solution's products cleared up other problems that I did not previously associate with acne.

--Marla
miss

Post by miss »

thank you for your response!

however, wikipedia says that demodex do not produce waste:

Demodex mite
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Demodex mite:
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Arthropoda
Class: Arachnida
Order: Acarina
Family: Demodicoidea
Genus: Demodex
Species
Demodex folliculorum
Demodex brevis
Demodex canis

The demodex mite is a tiny parasitic mite which lives around human hair follicles, particularly those of the eyelashes and eyebrows (Demodex folliculorum hominis) or in sebaceous glands connected to hair follicles (Demodex brevis). Measuring between 0.1mm and 0.4mm, each mite has eight segmented legs for locomotion, a long, scale-covered body for anchoring itself in the hair follicle, and pin-like mouth-parts for eating skin-cells and oils which accumulate in the hair follicles. Interestingly, the mite's digestive system is so efficient and results in so little waste that there is no excretory orifice.

With a life cycle lasting around two weeks, the mites are transferred between hosts through contact of hair, eyebrows and of the sebaceous glands on the nose. Demodex is typically initially contracted within the first few hours after birth from the mother.

An estimated 96-98% of all people carry such mites - with up to 25 in each follicle, each person can have a potentially huge population of mites. In the vast majority of cases, the mites go unobserved, without any adverse symptoms, but in certain cases (usually related to a suppressed immune system, caused by stress or illness) mite populations can dramatically increase, resulting in a condition known as demodicosis, characterised by itching, inflammation and other skin disorders.

It is quite easy to look for your own demodex mites, by carefully removing an eyelash or eyebrow hair and placing it under a microscope.

Different species of animals host different species of demodex; and demodex is not contagious between different species.

A related species of the demodex mite, (Demodex canis), lives only on the domestic dog. While, like with humans, most dogs live with their mites without harm, a minority do not have immune systems capable of completely controlling the mites, leading to a potentially dangerous infestation called demodectic mange. While direct treatment for severe cases is possible using a drug known as Mitaban which is applied to the skin, improved nutrition and checking for other, immune-system suppressing diseases are also recommended.

There is some evidence linking demodex mites to acne rosacea. Some people believe that there is also a link to acne vulgaris, but there is little research to back this up, and quite reasonable experimental evidence linking acne vulgaris to a sensitivity to Propionibacterium acnes.

External links

* Demodex Solutions: Information and FAQ
* [http://www.rosaceans.com/html/demodex.html Demodex Editorial
* Demodex, an inhabitant of human hair follicles, and a mite which we live with in harmony, by M. Halit Umar, published in the May 2000 edition of Micscape Magazine
* Demodicosis, an article by Manolette R Roque, MD
* Eyelash Creatures
* Mites might cause mighty problems, USA Today (Magazine), Feb 2004
* Demodex in the Dog, by T. J. Dunn, Jr. DVM

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demodex_mite"

Categories: Acari
Marla

Waste

Post by Marla »

Waste is not necessarily presented in the form of feces. Waste might be decay, metabolic by-products of the organism itself (and released upon death of the organism), or even waste generated in the process of penetrating the cell to obtain nourishement, or even waste products generated by our own cells in defense of the invasion.

Since mites transfer from one location to another -- although they die soon -- they still have the opportunity to gather particles smaller than they are, and transfer them into their preferred host.

Drag a pine cone through a can of popcorn, and it comes out with various particles that were not on the pine cone prior to its travelling through the popcorn. Put a mite on a cat, and then put it on my face, and I will have a reaction to the particles that the mite brings past the protective barrier of my skin. I am allergic to cats, but not allergic to popcorn.

But then, pine cones do not normally pass through the barrier of my skin because they do not have the means to do so. However, if a cat rolls around in a box of pine cones, and I puncture my skin with a pine cone, then I will likely begin to itch and turn red. More specifically, I might rub my eyes with the same unwashed hands after handling the pine cones contaminated with cat particles, and my eye will swell shut for 6 weeks.

The resource you quoted is excellent. As research on this topic matures, I am certain that we will learn that the simplest explanations will prevail.