Should I start or shouldnt I? Help with pictures

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

mcwick94

Should I start or shouldnt I? Help with pictures

Post by mcwick94 »

Let me know what you think? I've had the products for some time but have been to scared. I have such irritation and redness from rosacea with occasional red bumps so Im unsure how to apply. Applying all over is not an option as Im not strong enough emotionally to handle. Im already on the brink of a breakdown over this. How does everyone apply this stuff? and what is the best way to treat the lesions or blemishes as they come out?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/do87hx
Trudy

Re: Should I start or shouldnt I? Help with pictures

Post by Trudy »

Hi McWick,

I didn't look at your picture because, honestly, you have to download it to look at it and I didn't want to take the chance of a virus! Do you have another way where we wouldn't have to download it to see it? If you are on the brink of a breakdown due to your skin problems, then what do you have to lose? Agonizing over your skin is no way to live your life. You may have something already in your possession that will work so why not try it? What you are doing now isn't working. Some people have a die off reaction, I hear, after 2 weeks. I actually did not! So you never know. But even if you do have one, isn't it worth a breakout to have a chance at getting rid of these skin problems? Because rosacea, on its on, will never ever go away. If you do nothing, nothing will change...and may get worse.

I've been using Zz since Nov. 23, 2012. I have rosacea, perioral dermatitis, and seborrhic dermatitis diagnosed by a dermatologist and prescribed various medicines throughout the years (Finacea, Retin-A, Doxycycline, Tetracycline, Bactrim, topical Clindamyacin, etc...) I also tried natural things: TTO, Seabuckthorn, vitamins (a regimen from Earthclinic.com), among other things. Only the Finacea sort of helped. I know for sure I have the dermodex brevis because I have my own microscope. The ZZ cream delivered the same results as using the Finacea so far. My chin is entirely red most of the time with papules and pustules; however, I noticed after 3 months of using the cream that the redness had actually lessened and so have the p & p. It takes a long time, particularly with the demodex brevis as opposed to the folliculorum. This is how I use it: At night, I wash my face with the acarid soap. Then I put aloe gel on. Next I wet my fingers with water and put the cream in a thin layer all over my face. Then once that is dried I actually use the cream again without water just on my chin and any blemishes. I'll wake up and the blemish will be reduced nearly every time. In the morning, I do the same except I skip the thicker, drier layer on the chin. Then I use a moisturizer. If my skin is particularly dry, I"ll use the Fumanling Cream instead. So far it hasn't cured my skin problems, but it keeps them under control. For the demodex brevis, you need to use the cream 4-6 months so I won't really be able to give a complete report for 3 more months. I've had acne/rosacea for 25 years and the perioral dermatitis for about 3. I know it'll probably take the full 6 months to get rid of the demodex. I have definitely noticed there are less demodex when I test my skin with my microscope so the cream is working.

What are you using on your rosacea currently? When you say you can't emotionally handle putting it all over--you're worried you'll break out all over your face? The thing about the demodex is you can't really spot treat. The point is to get rid of the mite and you don't know where the mite necessarily is on your face so you have to treat the whole thing. Walter is supportive and so are many others on this forum so when you need some encouragement, come here. Heck, maybe start a mini-journal on here, keep us all updated, and you will have support. It'd be nice if you had access to a microscope because all I need to do is see those disgusting vermin in my skin and I have no doubts I'm taking the right course of treatment. I wish you strength and good skin, McWick!
mcwick94

Post by mcwick94 »

You have been a lifesaver in answering my questions. I'm not sure why you have to download to view the pictures. I had the same problem but I cant figure out how to attach the file. I took pics from my phone and downloaded to my computer. Usually there is the word "attach" somewhere when you post things such as these but I didnt see it on here. My hesitance is in the breakout as you mentioned so of course I wanted to treat only a small portion of my face to see how I would react but your right in that I need to just do my entire face as Im sure the demodex will hit other areas of my face when they die. I very unsure how to apply the cream and which one to use. I have both the ZZ and the Fumaling with metro in it. Im already very dry and flakey and dont know if you can add moisturizer after the cream. Probably not. I like the idea of what you said about applying aloe before the cream, that sounds like the way to go. Can I ask how you spread it on your face and how much you use per area? Its good to hear from someone who didnt have an outbreak. I dont have active pimples just enlarged pores that fill with gross hardened sebum that I literally have to pick out and lots of red rashy spots. Sometimes in the center of my cheeks I will get a red raised bump almost like a bite. That has to be the demodex dying as it usually happens when I apply this tea tree oil I have or a seabuckthorn oil as well. I would love to see your pictures and hopefully someone can answer me on how to download mine. Thank you so much for you advise and input
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Hi McWick,

I don't have pictures that I can find. I can't take one now because I did a peel a couple days ago so I am red and peeling and it wouldn't be an accurate representation. I found a picture that is fairly close to my skin but mine is definitely worse AND I've had it for a few years so my skin has turned brown wherever I've had irritation and blemishes (hence the peel). I unfortunately look like I have a goatee and I'm a girl. My peels are actually lightening up the hyperpigmentation though so yay! I hope they let me give you the link:
http://www.prlog.org/11869366-perioral-dermatitis.jpg I don't know how to post a pic. I tried to copy and paste but it didn't work. Sorry I can't help with the picture.

I also have spider veins pretty badly on my nose and cheeks. I have the enlarged pores like you have. Walter has said that the ZZ cream may help the enlarged pores because the demodex can cause this. One suggestion I'd make for when you are done using ZZ is to use salicylic acid on those pores. That's one of the only things that can get rid of those hard, plugged pores if you use it consistently. Paula's Choice has really great BHA (salicylic acid) in 1%, 2%, or 9%(for acne scars and sebaceous hyperplasia).

Your skin is different than mine as mine is combination and I love that the ZZ cream dries it out a bit; however, I do always use a moisturizer along the sides of my face which get very dry. The Fumanling cream is much more moisturizing but IMO you don't get much for what you pay for. My Fumanling would last maybe two weeks if I used it every day sparingly so that's particularly disappointing for someone like you with dry skin. I only use it after peels when my skin can't handle the ZZ. One jar of ZZ will last for about two months. You definitely don't need to use a pea size. That's too much. Just wet your fingers and then swipe them in the jar. When you put it on your face you will only barely see white. That's good enough. I do this after putting on aloe gel (I use a glob about the size of a very large blueberry and rub all over my face) but it really isn't moisturizing and from what I can tell the aloe moisturizer from demodexsolutions is just aloe gel. If you do get their moisturizer and it turns out to actually be moisturizing, let me know! I think the aloe helps my redness, but I still put on another moisturizer after the ZZ. Walter says that anything is okay as long as it doesn't interfere with the cream. I know you aren't supposed to use Retin-A at the same time but I'm not really sure what "interfering" with the cream means. You'll be miserable if you don't moisturize though. I've been using this:
http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-care-categories/moisturizers/_/Skin-Recovery-Replenishing-Moisturizer/

Btw, I don't work for Paula's Choice! She just has a couple products I really like and that moisturizer above just feels like pure moisture, not greasy, good for rosacea, and it can be used around your eyes. Plus it doesn't break me out. Anyway, like I said before, I put ZZ on my red bumps/pustules straight from the jar without water. I wake up the next day and they are usually a lot smaller. For this reason alone I can't imagine not have this cream around. So even though you don't have the pimples, it may help get rid of the red bumps that pop up. I so hope the cream doesn't make your face worse for awhile. But if it does and you can push through, you have the hope that eventually your skin may return to normal. I'm hanging onto that! I have had some breakouts that seem to be cyclical but they just aren't as bad as when I've used other medicines. I will without a doubt use this for a full 6 months to see if it works. Then I'll be reporting back. But let me know if you have any other questions. Maybe someone who has more of your skin type has found a good moisturizer and will be willing to post.
mcwick94

Post by mcwick94 »

Trudy
thanks for all the tips. It seems our skin has some similarities but your right about the dry skin though. I also battle seborrheic dermatitis so I'm dry and flakey on top of red an bumpy. Im a little confused as to how you can wet your fingers then glide it thru the ZZ and thats enough to do the whole face or is that how you put it on the bumps? I like the Fumaling as that is more moisturizing and can very easily be put all over. I tried the aloe and boy was it drying. In the last several days I have been using the Fumaling during the day and spot treating my blemishes which seem to be on my lower face and on my jaw at the moment. I havent noticed any reduction in their size or redness but I'm guessing it takes more time. I need improvement soon because Im literally falliing apart from this. I thought i was allergic to something food or other as I would get these massive red bumps that were not pimple like in anyway and I havent been able to determine what brings them on. They are not in the typical rosacea areas so I assumed it a reaction to something. After so many dietary changes and countless topicals nothing has panned out so this is my last resort. The overall texture of my skin just plain sucks!! Its not like I have a white face with some random red spots and veins. I have such bad skin in general.

I have also used many of paulas choice products but have not found them helpful at all. Their moisturizers have a lot of ingredients that are not ideal for my skin. Their BHA is suppose to be the best but I have not found it to help my clogged pores. Can I ask what cleanser you use to wash with and if you wear makeup?

Thanks for all the tidbits Its been helpful.
speak to you soon.
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

After you wet your fingers, you just swipe on top of the ZZ, not through it. It'll be a thin film but it'll be enough. These creams are supposed to help with seborrheic dermatitis. I have a little on my eyebrows. I have the typical Subtype 2 rosacea but what is on my chin isn't in the "normal" place rosacea happens. My derm said it was either rosacea or perioral dermatitis and it didn't matter which one it was because you treat them both the same. So even though your rosacea isn't in the normal place, it still can be rosacea. One thing that has helped my skin texture is Jessner peels. They are about the only peel recommended for sensitive or rosacea skin because they have BHA which is an anti-inflammatory. You do them only in the winter though. You can get them done at a dr or aesthetician which I did 4 at a dr office and then bought some on Amazon for $30 that work just the same and will last at least 6 months. It might be something you want to research and see if it could help you. Again, things might be different for you since your skin is so dry but some kind of peel might prove helpful.

Have you tried not eating gluten or sugar? It's a little tough at first but my skin goes totally crazy when I eat gluten in particular even though I don't have celiac disease. I totally understand about this being your last resort. It's mine too. If this doesn't work, I don't know what is left to try except just keeping things "under control." I actually bought some Ivermectin paste (1.8%) from Amazon that you feed to horses that I've been considering using eventually on my skin to kill the mites. I haven't had the guts to do it yet though! I'll finish the ZZ first. So really, maybe THAT is my last resort. One thing about it, it's cheap.

Right now I'm using the acarid cleanser from demodexsolutions. I actually really like it. I'd think Cerave for dry skin might be more for your skin type? I do wear makeup. It's difficult because I need to cover both brown and red spots. I use Coverblend by Exuviance (you can get it at Ulta). I need lots of coverage unfortunately. I heard of that makeup from a medical makeup artist who specializes in severe skin problems like we have or port wine stains. One thing for you, you'll need to really moisturize your skin--flakes can be tough to hide with foundation. She uses the Coverblend and then Mineral Veil by Bare MInerals. I've found what looks best is to use Dew Me spray by Urban Decay as a setting spray. If the skin looks more moist as opposed to matte, you don't see the flaws as well. Two questions:
1. Have you been to a dermatologist to be diagnosed?
2. What are the topicals you've used?
mcwick94

Post by mcwick94 »

Trudy I had a Vbeam treatment yesterday (my 4th) and my face is a disaster today. Every red spot on the side of my face is blaring red and rash like. It almost looks like excema of some sort. And to answer some of your questions my diet is free from sugar (apart from stevia as a sweetener) and processed foods and gluten. I do eat oat occasionally but mostly stick to rice, corn, buckwheat, quinoa and amaranth. Im painfully thin due to changing my diet 3 yrs ago and although I found no relief rosacea wise, I lost 40lbs. Funny because my face looked better when I ate crappier!! I'm sure some gluten creeps into my diet somewhere but for the most part I avoid it. I dont eat dairy (some butter) and have coconut milk or almond milk with my cereal. Im thinking maybe the coconut maybe the culprit as its something I started eating and drinking when I replaced regular milk. It is also something I consume in my 1 cup of coffee a day. Today was the first day that I didnt have any so we'll see.

I have been to a dermatologist many many times. Ive even been to a top one in NYC and my last option is low dose accutane. I did course of low dose (20mg once a week) a year and half ago and saw no difference only that it dried my face out even more. So ZZ is really my last option. Ive been applying it to my lesions ever so slightly in the last few days but prefer the Fumanling cream for both night and day. When you apply it to your red spots do you find it makes them worse or does it calm they down the next day? I put some on last night and I got no new spots but the existing ones were way worse.

As far as topicals its a toss up. I dont have a cleanser I like as its hard to find somethiing soothing yet remove the dead skin buildup and flakes I get. I also have a problems with clogged pores in my chin area. They're actually like deep whiteheads that look like they are right on the surface and you could easily press up and out but they dont. They have a deep attached seed to them so if you dont get under it just right it only tears and opens up the skin making it hard to heal. I fluctuate between a cleanser by Dermalogica called Ultra Calming and I also use products from a company called Garden of Wisdom. They have a website online. They have great products but my skin has not responded good or bad either way. Ive also continually tried Finacea, Clindaymcin, Ziania, Sodium Sulfetcetamide and countless others.

I'd love to get pictures uploaded for all to see but cant figure out how to do so. Maybe Walter the Administrator can advise. If you would like to see yourself you could send me your email and I could send to you directly. I would also love to see yours.

The ivermectin paste is something I have as well but havent tried. Based on what this board says its not as effective as the ZZ cream or the Fumanling cream.. I also have the oral tablet but havent taken that either. I believe I read it doesnt kill the adult demodex.

The jessner peels sound like something that would help me. I would be interested to hear more about how your skin responded to the ones you bought on Amazon. I will have to google it and see. What % did you use?
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Hey McWick,

You really have tried almost everything or so it seems. I went to a top Dr. here in Wash DC who has been on TV and whatnot and while he was very, very nice, even he can't help my chin. I asked for both Ivermectin pills and permethrin lotion and he gave it to me, but he told me it wouldn't help get rid of the demodex. He was right! (I think he was on TV maybe because he's pretty handsome). As far as the Jessner peel from Amazon, mine had a pH of 1.5. I'm not sure of the percentage but you also might want to ask your derm if they could do a peel, which one would they suggest, and then go on Amazon and order that. Mine is here:
http://www.amazon.com/Skin-Obsession-Anti-aging-Anti-acne-Treatment/dp/B0018P2ZEA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

For me, it's helped lighten brown acne scars but has not lightened my melasma at all. Because our skin is so different, I haven't had experience with the peel you may need. But the Jessner is supposed to clear out sebum and blackheads. It has helped make my skin look smoother. It actually looks really smooth where my skin is drier but it's helped texture overall. Maybe the 85% lactic acid would be better for you? I'd go on Amazon and read reviews. One thing that I believe is helping with redness is calendula cream from Boiron. I bought it at Whole Foods. I used the calendula gel for awhile and didn't notice a change but after using the cream for several days, I wake up and my redness is a little less...and I'll take what I can get.

I also have those deep, white bumps you mentioned. They are just on my chin and honestly, I'll admit that I sometimes poke them with a pin. They'll be there for months otherwise. But I must be very gentle or it'll make things worse. I'm hoping those are from the demodex and when those vermin are gone from my face, so will the bumps. Bumps are harder to hide with makeup. The ZZ does seem to calm my face and it really helps shrink pimples a lot. Of course, the whiteness of the cream makes my face look less red too. My chin used to burn and it hurt to touch. It's still somewhat red but slowly it hasn't felt as "angry" as it used to. You can email me at [email protected] if you'd like to send me pictures.
mcwick94

Post by mcwick94 »

thanks trudy I will email you later today with some pics and other tid bits...thanx as you seem to be the only one answering me on this forum
mcwick94

Post by mcwick94 »

Trudy how are you? I'm the worst I've ever been. I will send u pics of my face. Have you ever made a paste of the ZZ cream and left on overnight?
braveheart

Post by braveheart »

I looked at this pic and my heart goes out to you. That is the worst case of rosacea I've ever seen. I've been suffering since early 20s and I'm in early 40s now. I have in my arsenol, TTO with almond oil or coconut oil, macadamian nut oil to heavy for my skin. I put a mixture on every morning and every night as strong as I can handle. I'm on day 12 of 120 day cleanse to kill mites. Rub in eyebrows and in eyelashes. Sometimes full strength. I put TTO in baby shampoo and wash whole body with that, Also have tto shampoo and conditioner I use every other day with my regular shampoo that I occassionaly add tto to. I spend each night putting on different creams every half hour or so. I have a bunch that seem to work for me. I bought something online called freederm hc also pure gardens cream and vit e cream. After bath i use Benzalkonium chloride antiseptic towelettes then I use polysporin and found some old locacorten vioform perscription I try then at the end of the night I put a nice layer of raw honey, manuka is best, has to be pure not fake sugar in it stuff. That seems to do the best overnight nice layer on and I look good in morning unless I have eaten anything bad which includes for me potatoes, wheat, any dairy, no yogurt or any milk like drinks, garlic, I also gave up bananas and tomatoes as they are supposidely inflammatory. I only drink filtered water, or herbal teas, no caffeine, no alcohol no chocolate, no sugar, no nicotine. I pray and meditate and keep my stress levels low. I love myself and my rosacea and try EFT techniques. I do use the microwave to heat up quinua I eat with blueberries and coconut oil for breakfast. Almond butter on rice crackers and nice big bowl of fruit for lunch, big salad with lots of nuts cashews almonds, corn, brown rice, avocado sometimes fish thrown on it for dinner. That is all I eat except for occassional gluten free bar for snacks and sesame snack. I went to naturalpath and found out what I was allergic too. It sounds to me like you might be allergic to something in the demodex solution they sell here. I have not tried it as I can't afford it right now but will try it one day I am sure. I spot treat using clindomycin but find if I use it too much makes my skin read. Sometimes I only put on with q tip. My skin hates chemicals. I never wear makeup and I put Glaxal Base 15spf daily rain or shine as any sun is bad for skin, also wear hat. Also wash with Cetaphil on occasson very moisturing and soothing, sometimes add tto to it. Also have some glycerin I pat on. I like to try differnt things. Went into a health food store the other day new product there gets rid of excema but it was 40 dollars and I couldn't get it but might try it soon. I will also go to a homeopath soon. I take vitamins but am careful as I am allergic to some of the fillers. Cod liver oil started taking that. I keep a daily log of everything that I eat and how soon spots appear so I can remember what works and doesn't and how fast. I'm super serious about getting rid of this ever since I found out about the mites. I am on a mission! I also write and read what others say on this site. It is really really good for ideas. One of them I adopted was changing my pillow case everynight but actually I flip it around so do it every other night. http://www.growyouthful.com/comment-ail ... emedyNo=32
mcwick94

Post by mcwick94 »

wow, when I apply makeup no one can tell that I have these rashes or spots so it was a little upsetting to hear you say "This is the worst case of rosacea I have ever seen". While I have seen others that are worse, my is difficult. I am using the zz cream and the fumanling and I have had several good days. I am going slow with it and will stick with it because nothing else has worked for me. I too spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars going to naturopaths and homeopathic drs and none have helped. All their vitamins and supplements have only left my pocket empty and face still has rosacea. I change my pillowcase every day as well and eat right. I had intolerance testing and have sensitivities to soy, egg, wheat, rice, chicken, tapioca and sunflower so anything packaged is out of the question for me. I dont eat strawberries or many bananas as they are high in histamine but even avoiding all those things I still have spots so I dont think that is the answer. I have now developed food phobias and even attmepting to change my gut terrain has failed. I take probiotics and some imunne boosting supplments but dont really see a difference in my skin either way so I dont think that is the answer. I believe its mites as mine always look like mosquito bites and usually happen overnight while I sleep. Makes total sense to me now that I've joined in the demodex solution bandwagon. Why dont you submit photos of yourself so we can see what your dealing with?
braveheart

Post by braveheart »

I have no idea how to do pictures. Mine is not that bad. I don't ever wear makeup so that is why it was a bit concerning to me how red you were all over. I forget how good makeup can cover up stuff pretty well. I remember seeing laura ingles or mellisa gibert I guess is her name on for makeup tha covered all her rosacea and you would never know she had it. I bought it years ago but have run out. I should look for it again.

I just have it on my cheeks, looks like blush so no makeup haha. One day the cleanse worked so well I was so pale I thought I would have to put some blush on! haha. bit on forehead, chin, annoying rash under one eye that comes and goes but I'm only onl day 15 of the tto cleanse so I'm hoping in a few months things will be much improved. Wow you have a lot of allergies. That must be difficult. I'd be tempted not to eat anything, do some sort of water or juice cleanse and see what would happen. I may do that but I need to get a juicer. It is so tough for me the no food thing though, I get really hungry. haha So what do you eat then? :)
mcwick94

Post by mcwick94 »

braveheart if yours is not that bad, why are you on this forum? If mine was only confined to some redness on my cheeks I'd be doing cartwheels. I have huge pores that clog with hard pieces of sebum stuck inside and need to be pryed out with tweezers daily. I also have seborrheic dermatitis so my skin flakes and gets a build up of skin that needs to be sloughed off every other day with a cloth or exfoliated side of a cotton pad. All these skin changes and food issues surfaced 3 yrs ago and have only gotten worse despite being on top of it daily and trying everything from topicals, accutane, antiobiotics, supplements and herbs to change it. The rashes that show up are something new in the last 6 months and might even be steroid induced rosacea from 2 courses of prednisone and a low dose steroid cream called Pramosone lotion. The rash is better but I still get red mosquito like bumps that show up daily all over. I cannot figure out if its demodex or a reaction to a specific food or something else I ingest.
In the process of all these dietary changes I lost 40lbs on a already thin frame so I look pretty thin. Im 5'9 and only 125lbs and people were getting concerned.
It taking a toll on my marriage and kids as I have become reclusive while they have all gone on with their lives. Its been a nightmare.. Specifically I eat veggies but not all as some are high histamine and high in nickel (I have a nickel allergy) and others I have tested intolerant to. (carrots, brussel sprouts, cabbage). I cannot eat chicken or rice as these were tested and I was moderately intolerant to and severely intolerant to egg, soy, tapioca, sunflower and polysorbate 80. There isnt a package or boxed food on the market that doesnt conatain either egg, soy or tapioca. Even if its gluten free they normally substitute soy or tapioca as one of their ingredients so I basically dont eat anything boxed, packaged or canned. I stick to meat, turkey veggies and some fruits. Fruits are high in sugar while the berries are low but are can be high in histamine. Every day is a struggle finding something to eat hence all the phobia. I wish sometimes I never did the intolerance testing as too much knowledge can be a bad thing sometimes. I pray every day to find the strength to go on. If I were you I would thank my lucky stars its only redness
braveheart

Post by braveheart »

Oh yhea awful. The food thing is really a concern for me too. I'm so rigid in my eating. Never want to go out. Always take my own food wherever I go. I'm on this forum for information and to pass on information. I've found so much relief it is amazing. My rosacea had gotten worse with a persistant rash and dry itchy hurting eyes. I was sick of it so I started to research everything. I know how to do this really well as I am a teacher. Biology is my specialty so I love this sort of stuff. I'm very passionate about it and have found intese relief from the itching by taking espons baths with 20 drops of tto. Check my other posts out. Then I cover myself in organic coconut oil and all the mites just come pouring out of my pores, and my sisters and my daughers. It is disgusting but very freeing. I forgot to do my feet and I just did them this morning and I got tons and tons off of them. I can't believe how many my legs had on them. One came out into my eye and it was so painful. I immediately put my finger in the corner and fished out the black little bugger mite. That was the most painful one. I'm so less itchy it is amazing. I'm so happy and I want to pass on this information. That is why I am here to get support and be supportive. I have the time at the moment so I'm happy to be of service. (I've collected all the info and there are tons of cheap everyday products out there that can be used to get relief, permanent relief I'm hoping!) I will for sure end up buying all the different creams because now I know how many are on everybody I can see maintenance is going to be necessary. I just can't afford the creams right now so I am looking for and sharing the cheaper alternatives. My sister had this huge one come out on her palm and she massages people! so you can imagine how easy it is going to be to get reinfected if you even shake hands with people! disgusting