Demodex Test & Rosacea

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

rosaceaclearwannabe

Demodex Test & Rosacea

Post by rosaceaclearwannabe »

Hi,

I have recently been reading about Demodex and their possible role in Rosacea. I currently suffer from Rosacea, which compromises of permanent redness to the checks and slight redness to the tip of my nose. In addition I experience severe flushing when exposed to certain triggers, such as extremes in temperatures, stress and strenuous exercise.

I think I currently have quite smooth skin and I don't experience much acne at all. This seems to go against possible signs of a Demodex infestation in my skin, is this correct?

Also I am keen to try the Demodex test this weekend but I am unsure how I identify an infestation, is there a particular number of Demodex on one slide that would cause concerns? Also is it correct that everyone has a number of Demodex present in/on their skin but Rosacea & acne sufferers may have a higher amount?

Sorry for the basic questions but any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Walter

Re: Demodex Test & Rosacea

Post by Walter »

Hello
This seems to go against possible signs of a Demodex infestation in my skin, is this correct?
No, not correct, it all depends on the individual and how he reacts on the mites bacteria and allergens.
Acne for example can be infections because of the host specific bacteria, released by the mites when they die
and/or the bacteria they bring into the skin when they re-enter the pores.
Redness can be because a reaction of the immune system to something of the mites, nobody knows exactly yet
what this something is………………can be their bacteria, allergens……
Is there a particular number of Demodex on one slide that would cause concerns?
No, if you find one then you know you have more of them and if you have a skin problem at the same time which is possible related to
a demodex mites problem then you can be almost sure, whatever the quantity of mites you find.
The more you find, the more obvious it is of course.
Also is it correct that everyone has a number of Demodex present in/on their skin but Rosacea & acne sufferers may have a higher amount?
According Chinese studies around 60% of the population has demodex mites but other studies show much more.
Rosacea & acne sufferers have most of the time more mites but this is not as a rule, the question is, does one react towards the mites..............

Walter