Acne/Rosacea and a couple questions

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

Walter

Re: Acne/Rosacea and a couple questions

Post by Walter »

hello

No, you don’t do something wrong, when you kill a wave of mites, they die and release there bacteria/allergens in your skin,
this can make things temporarily worse, will become better again.

Walter
kiva

Post by kiva »

Hi Robin,

It sounds like you are doing everything you can hygiene-wise, and I agree that while you might have some minimal contact with other bacteria from the children’s clothing etc. I don’t think it would have too much effect, I think probably pillowcases are the most important thing as your face is right on it for so many hours so if they are clean that’s probably the most helpful thing anyway.

About the increased redness and itching, I don’t know if you saw some of my previous posts but I had a similar thing that my skin seems to go in “cycles”, it was definitely like around a 10 or 12 day cycle of where it would get worse again for a few days, then get better and then break out again. But, slowly, over time, each break out was less and less severe. I am on 5 months now with ZZ cream and I still get those “cycles” but it’s almost completely unnoticeable to anyone else whereas before at the beginning I would wake up with my cheeks like a huge red itchy spotty mess!

I tried to research the cycles and it appeared to be when the bugs die off in your skin and then decompose and leave bacteria which makes the skin flare up (I would also get the same effect after being in the sun which is apparently when they also die off). I don’t have any facts on that but for me it made sense. That was the only way I could cope with the renewed breakouts too – knowing that the bugs were dying off!

I really hope it’s working for you….the only advice I can give you is from personal experience and my history has been pretty similar to yours and I got there in the end!
Robin

Post by Robin »

Thank you :) I greatly appreciate your responses, It keeps me going for sure! I am now coming up on 5 weeks of using the zz. Face is getting flushed in the afternoons, dryness is still there but I think it is getting better (i have been using the zz morning and night for the last week or so) chest is breaking out in "cycles" and I am getting a couple bumps on my face here and there but no major break out. The red veins seem to be slowly coming back, I am very dissapointed about this, it has been 6 weeks since my last IPL and they were pretty much all gone but now I am starting to see them again, I figured if it was the mites causing these veins and IPL kills them and the ZZ kills them then they shouldn't come back (that was my theory anyway) so a big Sad face there! The itching has subsided quite a bit this past week but I can't say as I have seen any more noticable improvement as of yet, my face is pretty blotchy right now mostly because of the red veins I belive..grrrrrrr.
I also bought a microscope and recieved it in the mail yesterday. I checked for demodex and have had no luck finding any.. hair follicles and from (gross) pushing sebum out of my nose and looking there as well..didn't see anything (was kind of hoping I would!) so I don't know if I have just been doing a really good job of killing them or If there weren't that many in the first place and if it is something else causing my "rosacea" and broken capillaries??? Seems if there were mites, there should still be some after only 4.5 weeks of treatment, and seeing as my face is still flushing and getting hot in the evenings or afternoons. Is it normal to still have symptoms of mites even if you don't find any after a month of treatment??? I just bought two more jars and one xfml (for my neck) I am going to continue on and pray that in a few months my face will be back to normal! I also wonder if since IPL kills mites is this why I may not have had a major break out because I started using zz very shortly after my last IPL. OR... did I not have a problem with mites in the first place... so frusterating not knowing. Don't get me wrong, my face looks MUCH better than when all of this started in March, I didn't start noticing any improvement at all untill after my 2nd ipl or so and then after my 3rd was much better which was around the time I started "mite killing" (before ZZ) so I shall continue on with the zz
JPC

Post by JPC »

Hi Robin,

How are you getting along this week with your treatment?

I'm new to this forum and I thought I'd chime in here since it appears we are working along the same timeframe and perhaps we could give each other a boost every now and then when we're feeling hopeless.. I'm coming up to 6 weeks use of the zz cream and my progress has been very up and down as I've been trying to figure out a regime that works for me. Up until April this year, I had been getting Jessner's Peels done quite frequently and they helped to reduce acne breakouts and even out post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation issues. However, in April my face started to blow up in red itchy bumps every time I washed my face. So i stopped the cleanser that I was using at that time and tried other cleansers and the oil cleansing method, but each one would cause what seemed like an allergic reaction. I have gone through multiple cleansers and have finally found a natural herbal, preservative-free cleanser which doesn't irritate my skin. Phew! At the same time, my scalp became extremely itchy with severe dandruff. My hair was also falling out in clumps. I have tried everything under the sun to treat my skin - antibiotics, ayurvedic herbs, juice cleanses, acupuncture, tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar and dermatologist upon dermatologist. Each has irritated my skin further. I have had countless blood tests to determine whether I have any deficiencies. Anyway, very long story short, the zz cream currently appears to be working to reduce itchy bumps. I apply once at night and since I work from home, whenever I feel an itchy bump arising, I slather it on that area. Not sure whether that is good practice but it instantly provides relief from the itching. However, I am having problems with clogged pores and blackheads which causes me to pick at my skin leaving scarring (I'm of Indian origin so very prone to hyperpigmentation) and putting me back a week in my progress. Do you have any clogged pores? If so, what are you doing to manage them? Will the clogged pores clear eventually? Also, the itchy bumps always occur in the same specific areas. Do you find this? I get a breakout every time I eat certain foods such as dairy or wheat products. Do you get that?

Anyway, I hope you're progress is coming along well and I'm sorry to have hijacked your thread!

JP
Robin

Post by Robin »

Hi JP! THank you for Hijacking my thread LOL, not a problem at all, I appreciate any time someone has any kind of imput. this last week has been pretty bad, the broken capillaries are getting worse by the day so I am going back in for another IPL treatment this afternoon. My face is still flushing off and on and I just don't know what to do anymore or if mites are even my problem, as I said I did the microscope test and didn't see a one :( I was truly hoping this would be it. I am not going to stop using the ZZ though and just pray that in the long run it works. my bumps that i get (which i ever hardly get anymore) usually show up where my rosacea is and yes mostly in the same spots they would come and go. I don't have too many clogged pores, I used to until i started using grandpas pine tar soap. my pores all over my face would have little white things sticking out of them.. don't know what the hell that was but glad its gone! I am still taking minocycline and erythromycin and a good handfull of vitamins every day, but as of latley I can't say they are doing much good looking at my face in the mirror I am so depressed.... I look 10 years older, my face is dry and wrinkly looking although the flaking has subsided a great deal, then add in all the redness and broken capillaries, not happy. In fact I was just about to start a new relationship because my face looked pretty good a couple of weeks ago but then I decided to tell him not to come here because I don't want him to see me like this.
JPC

Post by JPC »

I completely understand - I have been a recluse since April this year because I am so ashamed and embarassed about the state of my skin. I am really lucky that my husband is so understanding and didn't even flinch the first time I came out with a layer of white ointment all over my face but I can't bear to have anyone else see me. But my husband has given me a little mantra to recite when I'm feeling low and it goes along the lines of "I have a husband who loves and that's all that matters". I can't tell you how much it helps to just say this to myself when I can't face leaving the house to do food shopping and it surprisingly makes me feel stronger. It has helped me to realise that I have to try to live a normal life for him.. I know you said you have a son so perhaps yours could be "I have a beautiful boy who loves me and I have to be strong for him". I hope I'm not overstepping the mark by suggesting it because it doesn't directly help the situation but I've been trying to change my mindset because I think I've been putting a lot of stress on myself over it which probably aggravates the condition.

I have also turned around or covered most of my mirrors because being constantly subjected to my own reflection was really demoralising. If I don't look at myself for a few hours I can even forget that there's anything wrong! I had flaking skin as well but that was when I was applying the cream twice a day and it makes you feel doubly low so I decided that even if the treatment takes a little longer, I was only going to apply it once a day because the added emotional turmoil wasn't worth it. Currently, I apply a somewhat thick layer of cream at night on a bare face and then apply a moisturiser in the morning. I'm not sure about the broken capillaries but I don't see why the two treatments - IPL and zz cream - can't go hand in hand. However, if I were you I would refrain from using the zz cream for 48 hours after your IPL session because your skin will be extremely sensitive. I have recently resumed my laser hair removal sessions on my face and found that in the area that I wasn't applying the zz cream (chin) because I previously had no problems there, I broke out in an itchy rash after the laser which has taken about 3 weeks to subside. Yet, I had no adverse reaction on my cheeks which is my main problem area. I can only see this as a good thing and that the zz cream is making my skin more resilient. So, fingers crossed the ipl will help resolve your broken capillaries. Also another thing I want to mention is that when I broke out on my chin, I slathered on the zz cream and although this made the skin in that area very dry and wrinkly, this has since been flaking to reveal new skin underneath.

Anyway, the point of this long reply was to say that hang on in there and just tell yourself that all your current skin problems are temporary and they WILL get better. Sorry to sound like a preacher but personally I have to believe that it will get better otherwise I'll end up being suicidal (I was very on the edge of it at one point). Sending lots of good vibes

Have you considered going to see a naturopath
Robin

Post by Robin »

Thank you for all you wrote, you husband sounds like such a wonderful man. One day I will find that and be happy I hope (yes I do still have hope because like you I would as well be suicidal) I do have a son, actually I have 3 sons and 2 daughters, I know they love me and they could care less what my face looks like but like you.. I care and don't want others to see me. I am also trying to quit smoking so there is stress from that and trying to raise five kids on my own and I am very sure this is not helping my face in the least. I have talked with all the kids and explained that I need as less stress as possible to help me get better. I need to get back to meditating for sure but there is abolutley no time in my day when it is quiet, half the time I fall asleep before a couple of my kids do so I just can't see how I can get this meditation thing in.. I have thought about seeing a natural doctor but at the moment I can't afford it, but I research and research online daily about my conditon, all aspects of it... I am also taking herbs to help with liver because although my liver enzymes were right where they should be I used to drink probably more than I should so I figured that it couldn't hurt.
kiva

Post by kiva »

Robin/JPC,

I was very sad to read both your posts because it shows in your writing just how much you are suffering….and I think only when you have been through this do you really understand how much of a confidence knock this skin stuff can be. I am aware that there are much worse medical problems in this world than bad skin and we all know that, but when it’s your skin and your face it’s very hard to keep perspective and it can be soul destroying. I wish that I could offer proper medical advice or do something but I hope that at least we can help each other by sharing stories and things we have tried. As someone who has come out the other side of this skin thing I hope that I can offer light at the end of the tunnel.

I also wanted to say, that I felt absolutely horrible when my face was all up in a rash and in a complete state and I felt so embarrassed and ugly, and I used to get really annoyed when people would say that it didn’t look too bad etc. as I just thought they were lying to make me feel better. But, now when I am out and about and I see people with skin conditions (and it’s surprising how many do once you start noticing it) I do realise that even when it’s bad, it somehow isn’t as noticeable to other people as it must be to yourself. I know it’s no consolation but I really think we are our own worst critics and at least remember that it never looks as bad to anyone else as it does to you.

Robin, if there’s any way you could give this guy a chance and not let your skin make you so unconfident, it would be so good for you, I know it’s easier said than done but he obviously wants to get to know you better and I am sure in your heart you would not let a guy’s skin stop you from seeing him so from his perspective I am sure he just wants to get to know you and is not nearly as bothered about your skin as you are. It could just be a chance for you to be happy that it would be a shame to turn down? I totally understand how you feel, I didn’t want anyone to even look at me (and I have a very supportive husband but he thought I was going nuts half the time), but I just know that this guy doesn’t see what you see. As a mother to 5 children (wow!) you probably spend so much time worrying about them and devoting yourself to them that it would just be so nice for you to have some support and comfort in your life.

So, on to a few of the topics you posted about just in case my experience is useful:

Searching for Mites: Robin – I went through the whole searching for mites thing with a Microscope too and I also didn’t have too much luck. I bought a microscope and made a bit of a mess with the oil and slides and kept getting distracted by seeing skin and other interesting things! I do think that I did see a mite but to be honest I was just getting in a bit of a mess in the kitchen and it was a rubbish cheap microscope so I kind of gave up. I meant to try again but I was so convinced that I had them (because of the crawling sensation on my skin) that I wasn’t too motivated to bother.

Clogged Pores: I have very clogged pores but I have seen a big reduction in this and in the size of the pores since using zz cream. I don’t use anything to address this except in the last month I've used those pore strips which you stick on your nose and chin for 10 mins and then rip them off. But, the stuff just comes back so it’s a bit pointless. I also had a weird thing where after being in the sun (once my skin was better) I get like little brown things coming out my pores (almost looks like dirt) that I can kind of pick off, I really think these are dead mites to be honest….its so gross…

Itchy bumps: My rash/red bumps were always on my cheeks (I was lucky in that this craziness was confined to my cheeks and forehead)….and they would come up in the same place all the time under my eyes. I think the mites like to live around the sides of the nose and cheeks where there are lots of hair follicles and pores….I definitely used to get repeat bumps in exactly the same places. I would just keep applying the cream all over and add a little bit more in the areas I knew were culprit areas.

Dry/Flaky/Older looking skin: Since having the problem with my skin and while using the cream for the first few months, my skin definitely looked tired, old, wrinkly and dull. It is only now (5 months in) that my skin has a little bit of texture back. I still have more wrinkles than before I had all this problem – I do think the zz cream is very drying (although I use such a teeny amount) but it’s a price I don’t mind to pay for having my skin back. I also don’t use any moisturizer or anything so perhaps once I start doing that it’ll improve too.

Nutrition/Supplements/Food: I tried the route of eliminating certain foods etc. and while I am sure a healthy diet really helps I just couldn’t seem to find any specific link to my skin. I took supplements and drank Sea Buckthorn Juice, Apple Cider Vinegar and all kinds of stuff but it just did nothing. For some people it probably is dietary, like a food intolerance or something that reacts in their skin but for me it was not and I drove myself a bit crazy thinking oh my skin is bad today because I had chocolate yesterday or because I had coffee and kind of guilted myself into thinking my skin was my fault. So, while I do think food is incredibly important, just be careful not to make your life even worse by blaming yourself and cutting out things you enjoy. Try eliminating dairy or other culprit foods to see what happens but if there’s no improvement I wouldn’t deny yourself or over-analyze it. If you don’t have the money to see a Naturapath just yet I am sure that you can get enough advice from the internet to at least get a healthy diet going in the meantime before you can get tailored advice.

Robin, I truly don’t know if you have mites or not…..I was 99% convinced that I did because of the itchy crawling feeling at night, but to be honest, I had zero other options left to try anyway, NOTHING else was working, so I put all my energies into the ZZ cream option. If you think you may have other options (IPL laser treatment etc.) I would consider it too. But you definitely need to give the ZZ cream more time, please keep going with it if you can. My path to “normal” skin was a long long road….it is 5 months now and I still know my skin is not perfect but the difference is incredible, but it was not without ups and downs all along the way. Each small step is important, if you do see some very gradual improvement then stick with it if you can.

I hope something of this is useful….the most important thing I wanted to say was just a bit of sympathy and support for what you are going through….it’s not easy….and I really hope you both get there and can start getting your lives back…. :)
Robin

Post by Robin »

Thank you for all of your support Kiva, i am not giving up on the ZZ cream, in fact I only quit using it for the one day when I had the IPL done on Tuesday (2 days ago) I am going to try going gluten free for a month and see if that helps, I have already tried cutting out dairy with no luck there. I have also tried gluten free but it was only for 5 days or so and probably not long enough to notice a difference if i am intolerant to it. I also have a couple more symptoms besides rosacea and when I looked up these three symptoms together gluten intolerance or celiacs was the main thing they stated could be my problem, so we shall see, I am going to give it a go and keep on with the zz. I know most people say they have problem with itchiness on their face during the night but mine itches during the day when its light out as well, i don't notice it much at night because I am sleeping and its not bad enough to wake me out of my sleep but i do notice the same tickles at night if i wake during the night as I do during the day. My microscope was a cheapy too and like you said there was a lot of interesting stuff and I "think" i may have seen something that resembled a mite but not for sure (i did it again the other day) so reguardless I am going to use the zz for at least 6 months before I give up as the mite theory was the only thing that made sense to me after trying almost EVERYTHING else, can't give up now! Thank you both for all of your imput and support, I am glad we have this forum and can be here for eachother :) Hope you all have a wonderful thanksgiving
Robin

Post by Robin »

So I just wanted to update on here, I have been Using ZZ for about 8 months now (Need to order some more but have to find the $ first haha) I have never went a day without using it accept that one time after my IPL and two other days when I ran out and was waiting on the shipment. I have also done other things as well such as DRASTICALLY changing my diet to 90% Raw Foods in mid January and by mid February I was on 99% Raw foods only (still am) I really enjoy eating'Raw' (not raw meat or anything like that just fruits and veggies, nuts, seeds, honey, and nothing cooked. I can say I have seen the most improvement after eating this way for 3 months. I don't discredit ZZ at all, I think that is also part of what is helping. I still have red spots (bumps) here and there usually a few times a month (it's very hard and annoying being patient!) And some days my face is pinker than others but usually only gets red a day or two after I go out and drink beer (won't be doing that anytime soon) I learned that the hard way! I didn't have a drink at all in over 3 months, and have of course been eating raw foods and using the ZZ and my face looked wonderful, then I moved and was very stressed out so I decided to get out of the house and drink it up at the bar (BIG mistake) I felt like I was back to square one, my face looked like hell the next day, so now I have to get it back that way. It's been about 2 weeks and i am still not back to the way I was before the drinking episode..Sigh.... I will be back and update again after using ZZ for a full year. Oh, I have totally done away with IPL, I really don't see the point in it at all, I think they way I eat makes more of a difference for the facial capillaries than IPL ever did.