Bloodshot eyes and occular rosacea

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

Marla

EyeSite FYI

Post by Marla »

Hi,

Here's a site for sight. I found it when researching the Varilux lenses and looking for what's new in vision correction. It's a comprehensive low-key site with plenty of information.

FYI:
http://www.allaboutvision.com/

--Marla
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

It's a good site, Marla. Thanks!

It does have discussions on Implantable Contacts and also Intacts. Those are what I'm interested in. They also mentioned the one caveat that I had heard before: There's some tissue recession with these things. I don't know how serious that is, but I don't like hearing that. They're also made from PMMA, which is the hard plastic material used in older GP (gas permeable) hard contacts. They switched from PMMA to some other material a long time ago so that oxygen permeation could be improved. I wonder if the tissue recession would go away with this other type of material. Anyway, I'll be watching the press on it. It has yet to be cleared by the FDA in the U.S.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

Oh, and an update on my bloodshot eyes condition...

My opthalmologist diagnosed me as having blepharitis and prescribed Bacitracin antibiotic ointment. I used that for 20 days, which was longer than the 10 days it was prescribed for. Then for about 7 days after that I used the Demodex Solutions eyelash 2% metronidazole ointment. Then I had another eye doctor appointment. No change in the bloodshotness of my eyes, but he said I had less inflammation of the eye lids themselves. So it improved my blepharitis, but maybe not my bloodshot eyes.

The doc then prescribed two eye drop products: Restasis, and Tobradex. The Restasis increases moisture in the eyes. The Tobradex is a steroid and antibiotic combination. I used Tobradex for the prescribed 7 days as of today and am no longer using it. I noticed a real fight going on with my eyes because of it. At times my eyes were greatly improved, and at other times they were actually worse. It's hard to say if this is going to result in any long-term improvement. As for Restasis, I can feel it working, especially in the morning when waking up. My eyes are not as dry.

My next appointment is in mid-November. He wants to give the Restasis enough time to work and says it sometimes takes that long for it to kick in.

I'm not happy yet. And I think I'll go back to using the Demodex Solutions eyelash product at night once a day. I like the Restasis, though.

Nothing else I can do at this point. I'll post a follow up eventually.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

My eyes are doing better. I still have two stubborn capillaries spanning a large section of my eye. Those sort of "connect" with the colored part of my eye, so I'm thinking they might be due to the lack of oxygen getting to my eyes due to those soft contacts I used to wear.

I have yet to put on my new contacts. I got the new Acuvue Advance ones which supposedly help with oxygen. But I want to let my eyes recover more.

After the 1-week steroid eyedrops program (Tobradex), it seems to have caused most of the redness to go away. I only see it at night now. During the day it's mostly clear. And I've been using Restasis twice a day, and that's really helping. Combined with not wearing my contacts, my eyes don't feel dry anymore, not even at night like they used to. It's great. Much much better.

Still, it's not perfect. I may start up again with the demodex solutions eyelash treatment if things don't improve. And I'll likely continue to use my glasses instead of contacts.

It's looking like this is all caused by the inability of my immune system to deal with stuff. It's funny, because I rarely get colds or flus. I went 4 years without a single cough, sniffle, fever, whatever recently. But things related to the skin, and now apparently the eyes, are a problem for me. Strange.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
T.R. in MD

Post by T.R. in MD »

Did your opthamologist take a swab for a culture?

R,

Tom
lindsay

Post by lindsay »

Hi Steve,

I stumbled upon the DemodexSolutions site after searching the web for info about blepharitis, which I have suffered with for over 5 years now...

I've just emailed Walter to see whether he thinks the products here will help and I'm keen to hear about your success!

I've also got very large pores and oily skin and I've often wondered whether these were related to the oil-gland disfunction in the eyes that can be associated with blepharitis. It amazes me that blepharitis, a seemingly simple infection of the eyelids, can't be treated effectively with 21st Century medicine...

Do you think that the acne/rosacea treatment helped with your eyes at all, or do you think it's all down to the Metronidazole Eyelash Cream?

Thanks, and I hope your eyes continue to improve!

Lindsay.
Marla

The Eyeglasses Thing.

Post by Marla »

SteveInAustin wrote: And I'll likely continue to use my glasses instead of contacts.

It's looking like this is all caused by the inability of my immune system to deal with stuff. It's funny, because I rarely get colds or flus. I went 4 years without a single cough, sniffle, fever, whatever recently. But things related to the skin, and now apparently the eyes, are a problem for me. Strange.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
Good to hear from you, Steve. I've been wondering how you are doing.

What happens socially when you put on eyeglasses? Any change there?

If you could give up your contact lenses, would it be all that bad? I could influence you with my personal opinion, but I want to see what you think first.

--Marla
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

Just catching up on things here. Sorry for the delay...

T.R.: No, my doctor didn't take a culture. He looked at my eyes through some sort of a scope. He said there was "crusting" apparent on my eyelids. From that he deduced that it was likely blepharitis. A follow exam 1 month after antibiotic ointment applications showed little to no crusting. But I still had bloodshot eyes. So he prescribed a steroidal eye drop to reduce inflammation for 1 week. That seemed to work. After that I began Restasis, which helps immensely.

Lindsay: Definite improvement, but I can't say if the metronidazole was what did the most good. I think the daily eyelid cleanings with baby shampoo has been helping. The initial antibiotic applications, including the metronidazole, probably got rid of the infection. But I stopped using those antibiotic ointments a while ago. I only used the metronidazole ointment for 1 week total, and maybe a few days more later on. The steroidal drops got rid of the inflammation after the antibiotic treatments were done. And the Restasis has been amazingly effective at keeping my eyes moist. I now use Restasis everyday. I don't even have to use wetting drops during the day. I'm still not 100% clear of bloodshot eyes, but it's much much better now. The only time it's noticeable is when I'm really fatigued and tired. I'm still wearing my glasses, because I'm just scared about using contacts again. But I probably will start wearing contacts again soon.

Marla: Socially? Well, I have little to no social life these days. Hahaha. Actually, I came out of my shell a little bit over the summer to go out on some dates, but recently I've gone back into my shell. It could have been the bloodshot eyes thing. Who knows. So I haven't had to deal with the glasses issue just yet. But I'm going to start dating yet again very soon, and when I do I think I'll switch back to contacts. But this time, my contacts will be the Acuvue 2 Advance brand. Those supposedly help with oxygen and moisture.... I think glasses *can* look good on me, but the pair I have now don't look good. My prescription is so high that even these small framed glasses aren't doing a good job at concealing the "coke bottle lense" effect at the edges, if you know what I mean. I think a different frame style might be better for my face's shape also. So for those reasons I don't think they look good if I'm trying to make a good impression with someone I'm going to date for the first time... As far as glasses in my business life, actually I think they've helped. I'm an engineer, and I look fairly young for my age (I'm 33 and look like I'm 21). So I've gotten some comments back from people I work with saying that I look more intellectual and respectable. It's hilarious. I've actually noticed people treating me with more respect.

Thanks for the interest, by the way!

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
Marla

SteveInAustin Wear Them.

Post by Marla »

Hi Steve.

Please go get some good glasses. If the frame is right, then you should have good luck dating again. Plus, you can clear up your eye problems easier. You know that, right?

A small eyewear shop with good quality frames will know what frames to put you in when you walk in the door. C'mon, Steve! Why not? You want to find a partner who likes you in glasses, but not because of your glasses.

I wait for the next chapter.

--Marla
T.R. in MD

Secondary infection in eyes?

Post by T.R. in MD »

Steve:

The reason I asked about a culture is that your symptoms sound a lot like what I was experiencing. It turns out that I had a staph infection in both eyes, and was prescribed Ciprofloxacn (eye drops) for treatment. I don't know if this infection is secondary to the demodex problem I am experiencing, as I (as well as my opthamologist) have not seen any evidence of mite activity in and around my eyelashes or lid margins. Sometimes you can get this kind of infection from rubbing your eyes too much (bacteria on your skin gets forced into you eyes).

In addition, I also payed attention to Marla's post about a rebound effect from regular eye drops. I will try to reduce my depencence on drops as best I can as well ( I think I just get in the habit of using them when all I really need is some rest, LOL). Lastly, in the past I would keep a fan on my face to try to cool the burning sensation I felt from rosacea, only to have my eyes dry out - then the eyedrop cycle begins!

R,

Tom Roberts
Marg

Re: Bloodshot eyes and occular rosacea

Post by Marg »

Apologies if it is wrong to cross-post, however I just posted at:

http://www.demodexsolutions.com/phpbb3/ ... f=1&t=7756

In relation to this demodex rosacea treatment:

http://www.rosacea-treatment-clinic.com ... dides.html

I've been informed that clearance of facial rosacea improves ocular rosacea.
Titine

Post by Titine »

You need to see a real ophtalmologist that will confirm it's due to demodex. I also have occular rosacea symptoms, but it causes blephartitis and even like that there can be different organisms playing a role not only demodex mites. you can have added to that, a staphylo infection which requires specific antibiotic, plus difcuntion of the lacrimal canal etc... the mites are a big part of the problem, but after years other things just add up.
Marg

Post by Marg »

Thank you for your reply, that is what I'm going to do.
redeyedgirl

Post by redeyedgirl »

Hey Steve,

It's yeeeeeears later, but I'm wondering if you have any updates on your red eyes? Does the Restasis still work for you?

How did you get the blepharitis and redness under control?

I'm having similar problems, and I've tried so many things. Tea tree oil products, eye steroids (short-term) eye ointments, drops, etc. and nothing seems to work. Well.....the steroids worked great, but my doctor said they can only be used for 1-2 weeks tops. So now I'm considering Restasis, but I hear it burns terribly.

Please let me know, thanks!!!!! :-)