Bloodshot eyes and occular rosacea

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

SteveInAustin

Bloodshot eyes and occular rosacea

Post by SteveInAustin »

Hi, I'm back after a long break from visiting this web site. I used to post here often, but I just haven't had the time lately.

I'm coming up on 2 years on the Demodex Solutions products now. After 2 years, I'm still nearly 100% clean of acne. It's amazing! Also, I had the beginnings of rosacea appearing on my forehead, nose, and upper cheeks, and that's gone now. I often go a whole month without seeing any pimples now. I might see an occasional pimple, but it's small and usually invisible unless you're closely inspecting my face. Also, after a year on the products daily, I went to using them just once every other day (just at night with Zhong Zhou). And that maintains me just fine. To look at me, you'd never know I suffer from acne.

But within the past year, my eyes have gotten to be very red and bloodshot. And it doesn't get any better after using Visine or Clear Eyes anti-redness eyedrops. I've always had a constant amount of redness / bloodshot eyes ever since puberty when I started wearing contacts. It was never really bad, though, and it would heal if I just didn't wear my contacts for a day or if I got more sleep. No big deal. But recently my eyes have been so bloodshot that people have come to me asking me what's wrong and if I do drugs. And I've had my contacts out of my eyes for over a month, and it has not improved much at all.

This is especially bad as I started dating again recently after like a decade of not dating (mostly because of the acne thing). On one recent date, my date asked me what was wrong with my eyes. Uggg. So I've taken care of the acne, but now this! Geez. I just can't win! Life isn't fair. But we knew that.

I went to my opthalmologist to see what could be done about my bloodshot eyes. He gave me bacitracin ointment. It's an antibiotic ointment that is placed directly in the eyes. Well, it's been 2 weeks now and no changes. He said it would work within a week if it's an eye infection. He diagnosed it as blepharitus. So I have another appointment to see him in another week to figure out what to try next.

I decided to look into this myself. There seems to be a nearly infinite number of causes for bloodshot eyes. Many of them apply to me. But one in particular was interesting. I saw that bloodshot eyes can be caused by something called "occular rosacea". I had never heard of that before, but apparently it causes bloodshot eyes. When I saw that I immediately remembered the Demodex Solutions eyelash product. I think I'm going to try that. My eyes are the only place I don't use the creams. It would make sense if the critters were chased out of my face and into my eyes. It's the only place they have left to go, other than my scalp.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has had any experiences like this.

I can't imagine *how* demodex mites living in the base of my eyelashes could cause this. I think it's a long-shot. It could be the cause, but I'm skeptical. I guess if it is the cause, then it's probably a kind of allergic reaction or something. Who knows. I do know that rosacea can cause a swelling of the capillaries thereby causing more redness. I wonder if occular rosacea is the same way, and that's why the eye's capillaries can be seen.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
Walter

Post by Walter »

Hello again Steve

That?s indeed a long time ago but no news is most of the time good news. :lol:

Yes, you can get ocular rosacea from demodex mites but not because they are in your eyes but in the hair roots of your eyelashes,
why?, probably as you wrote because on an allergic reaction, the same as noses which become red and swollen from the mites etc.
I don?t know if you have, or can use a microscope yes or no, because they are very easy to find if they are present,
just pull some eyelashes, put them carefully on a glass slide not to let drop of the mites from the lash root and cover with a cover glass (special very thin glass)
then look carefully on the roots, if you see a little extra bump look more carefully because probable a mite, look very well because
maybe you only an see the tail or head if the mite is under the eye lash, I think you understand what I mean.
It looks you are vulnerable for this mites because your scalp still itches and now this so it is possible, I don?t
say it is for sure but possible, and for sure worth to give it a try.
The ZZ will keep on working for you acne Steve, the mites doesn?t build resistance towards the ZZ ointment so???????
By the way, this year we will start selling the ZZ locally in the drugstores in Europe already???????
If you want to try you need to use our eyelash cream but you need to give it some time, can take some months,
many woman for example loosing there eyelashes because of this mites and they just don?t know.

Walter
EggBert

Post by EggBert »

Steve,

I have the exact same problem, and im sure its due to Demodex activity.
My eyes become very red and itchy and I get alot of gunk and eyelashes falling into my eyes frequently. It seems to be no different during different seasons either...

I use "Naphcon-A - Allergy Eye Relief" and I higly reccomend you try it. You can get it from any chemist. Most other eyedrops didnt have much of an effect for me either, but these ones do... They make my eyes white in about 10 minutes and take away the itch. I only need to apply them usualy 2-3 times per day.

So give that a go :) Im also in the middle of using the DS eyelash ointment, for a bout 2 weeks... So far I havnt noticed any change but I guess its too early to tell yet.

EggBert
Marla

Oh No! Not that stuff.

Post by Marla »

Hi to those of us who use, and have used eye drops:

Try stopping the eye drops altogether. Research the rebound effect of using eye drops for extended periods of time. Rebounds also occur with excessive use of nasal treatments.

If you must use eye drops, try to find a homeopathic product from a reputable company.

Awwww! Steeeeve! Cripes. I'm sorry about the date. Wow. She must have been a dish, huh? Otherwise she'd have had at least one experience of her own that taught her something about what to look for in a person and what to overlook. Shucks. Try again with somebody else. Perfect people are plentiful; great people are scarce.

(Can I skip the gender thing in the previous paragraph? I mean, like, it doesn't matter to me what the gender is, as long as the intended message is conveyed. I don't really want to edit it out, so go with the gender thing regardless of the facts.)

Many chronic situations show up as eye problems. Hopefully, the problem is as simple as giving up eye drops and clearing up Demodex. Both worked for me.

--Marla
EggBert

Post by EggBert »

My god that would be hard.. Ive been "addicted" to my eyedrops for most of my life. Would be easier to give up smoking I think.

But yeah I think you are right.
Marla

Post by Marla »

EggBert wrote:My god that would be hard.. Ive been "addicted" to my eyedrops for most of my life. Would be easier to give up smoking I think.

But yeah I think you are right.
Hi EggBert. Hmmm. Why bother giving up smoking? Oh. No. Here I go again. This could be a long night if I get going on that topic. Never mind.

Yeah, I like the clear-eyed thing that happens with the drops. It's good for a compliment once in awhile -- like if your family hasn't seen you in years and you want them to think you're feeling great.

Smilies,
Marla
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

Walter, I'll definitely try the eyelash product. And you're right, no news is good news. I have to tell you, I have never been this free of acne in my life (past age 14 that is). I don't think I'll try the microscope thing. I'll just purchase the product and give it a try for several months. I'll post my results. Happy to hear your business is doing well. That means we'll always be able to buy Zhong Zhou.

EggBert, thanks for mentioning Naphcon-A. I see it's being sold at Walgreens near me. They're a chemist as you Brits(?) say... I suspect you're from the UK? I'll post a follow up after I've given it a try.

Marla, Yes! The rebound effect. I am totally aware of that. I've used Visine every morning (just once a day) for the past year or two or three. Haha! I know what you mean, because I've experienced this problem with the rebound effect before. I sometimes had to stop using it in order to see it working better. I've been off of any eye drops for the past month now, actually. But I will try that Naphcon-A just to see what happens.... As for the date, she wasn't so bad to me. But yes, actually she was a dish. Very hot! Hehehe. But not compatible with me for other reasons. And it is a legitimate question. I would be concerned if I saw my date -- whom I've never met before and who is driving me around -- had shocking red eyes. I would want to know if this person was under the influence of some kind of drug or something. But I'm not sure I'd just come out and ask her about it. I'd probably observe her driving and other behavior before I asked. Dunno. At any rate, it is unattractive having bloodshot eyes. Definitely. I'm wearing glasses now also, which I never used to do. It's improving my eyes, making them less dry as they would be with contacts. And because of the extreme power of the lense, the redness isn't as apparent when viewed through the lenses. So that's good, but I need to find better looking glasses. I never intended to actually wear them in public. Hahaha. Then again, my coworkers told me I look more intellectual and older (I look fairly young). So that's a plus. But I'll still take contacts any day over glasses. Actually I was thinking of having "implantable contacts" put in my eyes. That would get around the dryness and cleaning issue.

Thanks again, all.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

The Naphcon-A product does help my red eyes more than any other product I've used. But it doesn't cure them. It doesn't last very long. And it only gets rid of the minor redness. The big main capillaries are unaffected. But it's pretty good anyway. I'll continue to investigate this problem with my opthalmologist. I'm looking forward to the day when we can just grow new eyes outside of the body and transplant them. That would solve everything.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
EggBert

Post by EggBert »

EggBert, thanks for mentioning Naphcon-A. I see it's being sold at Walgreens near me. They're a chemist as you Brits(?) say... I suspect you're from the UK? I'll post a follow up after I've given it a try.
Nah I'm an aussie mate :)

Maybe you can just use the Naphcon before a big date, and try not to use it any other time...

I've been trying to stop using mine for the last few days... but its nearly impossible. I always reach for the eyedrops and put them in without even realising I've done it... Been using them for far too long.
Marla

Steve is observant.

Post by Marla »

Hi, Steve and EggBert:

I just checked my medicine cabinet and found this product: "Similasan" by Similasan AG, Switzerland. I lunge for it when I know I've gotten cat dander in my eye. I know it by the feeling that a boulder is in my eye. If I don't do something right away, my eye will swell shut for weeks. Things quiet down right away after I use the Similasan Eye Drops #2 for allergies.

However, instead of using regular eye drops for bloodshot eyes, "Blink 'n Clean" has been my staple when I wear contact lenses. Even when I do not wear my lenses, I find that it binds foreign matter into a removeable mass in the inner corner of my eyes. After that, I have no redness and no rebound (so far.) Well . . . ? How else can I describe this yucky thing politely? :o

Steve, you are thoughtful to consider your date's concerns. Too bad it didn't work out though.

As far as eye glasses, I like to see someone who puts glasses on and skips the thick contact lenses. Regardless of the power of the eyeglass lenses, the frames often enhance a person's features without being distracting.

Alas, the frames can be a pain when working in tight spaces. Worse yet, they fog during cooking and dishwashing. Or so my maid says! -- ;) Bummer, huh?
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

EggBert wrote: Nah I'm an aussie mate :)
Ah. I forgot Aussies have that in their vernacular as well. Ha!
EggBert wrote: Maybe you can just use the Naphcon before a big date, and try not to use it any other time...

I've been trying to stop using mine for the last few days... but its nearly impossible. I always reach for the eyedrops and put them in without even realising I've done it... Been using them for far too long.
Yeah, that's how I see using it. Just before a date or something. But it won't even last more than an hour for me I think. Oh well.

I've been giving my eyes a break. The only thing I've been putting in them has been this bacitracin ointment (antibiotic) that my doc gave me. Been free of any eye drops for over a month now, except for that one trial of Naphcon-A. I'm probably better off that way.

I did order the eyelash treatment product. It hasn't gotten here yet, but I'm looking forward to trying it.

I'm going to have another visit with my doctor to see if he can suggest anything else now that we know normal antiobiotics have no affect apparently. I'm thinking I might try Restasis. If there was a laser treatment for this, I'd even be up for that.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
SteveInAustin

Re: Steve is observant.

Post by SteveInAustin »

Marla,

Thanks for the info about Similasan. I'll ask my doctor about it.

I had also gotten used to using Blink 'n Clean while I wore contacts. I started using it very frequently this past year. It was working well. Can't tell whether or not I was allergic to it, though. I'm allergic to most non-rub cleaning solutions.

It's funny you should mention the fogging thing with glasses while cooking. I've been running into this problem now that I'm wearing glasses these days. It's hilarious! I had totally forgotten about stuff like that.

The biggest problem I have with glasses is my 3-D depth perception and peripheral vision (together). My lense power is so strong that it actually warps edges of everything and causes the prism effect with the colors of everything that's off-center. It gives me a very narrow field of vision. I find myself thrashing my head back and forth trying to turn and look at everything now, whereas before I just shifted my eyes. Takes a lot of time getting used to this. I keep stumbling over things. Driving my car out of the narrow garage opening is much more fun. I have to say, I'm definitely sportin' the "Geeky Professor" look these days. Haha!

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
kara

Post by kara »

Steve,
Did you think about laser surgery? I hate wearing glasses. I have high astigmatism and have exactly the same problems as you have. I can't wear contacts to work because when I work with computer, my eyes are very dry.
Kara
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

Hi Kara,

Well I have thought about laser surgery for my near-sightedness. The first problem I have with that idea for me is that my prescription has changed every year since age 6 or so. The rule of thumb, I think, is that you should only do lasik surgery if your prescription has been constant for the past 3 years, I think. So that immediately rules me out, unless I just want to waste my money.

Second, I don't like lasik. It's destructive. You can't go back once it's done. And there is a small percentage of operations that fail and fail in a major way, something like 1%. One percent doesn't sound too high a risk, but that's one botched operation out of every 100 people. I don't want to be that one person. I could be wrong about that number. It might have improved since the time I've looked into it. But to me the risk is a little high.

Thirdly, lasik suffers from the fact that it's imperfect. They tell you to expect 20/40 vision when you're done. Well, that's still pretty bad. You may not need glasses or contacts after that, but chances are you will need them if you want perfect vision. And let's face it, that's what we all want. Why pay thousands of bucks and undergo the hassle of surgery and a month long recovery if it's not going to be perfect?

Fourth, prescriptions hardly ever stay the same forever. Your eyes will get more nearsighted as you age, and then you'll reach a point where they'll start to reverse and get less nearsighted. So if you get lasik surgery now, it may only give you good vision for 5-10 years. After that, you may be able to have an adjustment lasik surgery, but it's more likely you'll just have to put up with contacts or glasses again. Hardly seems worth it, in my opinion.

Lastly, I've heard of a great new technology that's already here. It's called "implantable contacts". They open up your eye and insert contacts into it, then seal them up. It's non-destructive, so you can completely reverse it or swap out the old contacts and replace them with new ones when your prescription changes. You don't have loss of oxygen or loss of moisture associated with external contacts. You don't have issues with cleaning the contacts. You can swim with them. There's very little chance of surgical errors or permanent abnormalities like in the case of lasik. You can use your eyes and see normally right after surgery, unlike lasik which typically might take a few days before things clear up. It's nearly a perfect solution. Only one catch: The operation costs 2-4 times the cost of lasik surgery at the moment. But that price will be coming down pretty fast over the next few years I think. Also, not many doctors know how to do it yet. Oh, one other possible catch: It's still a young technology. Who knows if there will be nasty long-term side-effects. So I'm in a wait and see mode for this right now.

Granted, most people I've talked with have said they liked their results with lasik. I'm perhaps just a little too paranoid.

By the way, most people say that after their lasik surgery, they have *very* bloodshot eyes. But it only lasts a month or two, apparently.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

Oh, by the way, I just started using the eyelash ointment. I'll post a follow-up in a few months with my results. I'm crossing my fingers.

I'm also going to get more input from my opthalmologist next week. I tried his prescribed bacitracin antibiotic ointment for 20 days. No change in my condition.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA