Wool and such.

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

Have you tested positive for an allergy to wool?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:26 am

Yes
25%
No
50%
No, but wool makes me itch.
25%

Total votes: 4

Marla

Wool and such.

Post by Marla »

Since wool contains lanolin, which is essentially sheep sebum, I suggest that there is a connection between exposure to wool early in life, and the likelihood of demodectic (mange) skin problems within a few years of exposure to wool. Perhaps other fibers, both animal and botanical would also increase the likelihood of demodicosis.

Why?

The mite's eggs could remain in the fibers for an undetermined period of time. Their viability is not commonly known; therefore, I suspect that although mites die soon after separation from their host, their impervious and dormant eggs remain within fibers until conditions are favorable for hatching.

If the fibers are animal in origin, I would expect that Demodex sp. would have been present prior to the removal of hair (and feathers) for commercial use.

Cotton, which is grown in open fields alongside other agriculture could easily harbor mite eggs. Whether botanical fibers acquire Demodex from windblown animal particles, or through handling is unknown, although it is probable.