post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

Brady Barrows

Demodex, an editorial

Post by Brady Barrows »

Demodex
An Editorial by Brady Barrows
Copyright 2005 - All Rights Reserved

There has been a history of the demodex mite theory going way back to April 1997. The first research paper I read about said,

"...Light and scanning electron microscopy revealed that all mites were pointing in one direction. Some of them were containing bacteria inside their gut and on their skin. After treatment 3 cases (18.75%) were completely cured, 10 cases (62.5%) gave moderate response while 3 cases (18.75) have no response. In conclusion, this study supports the pathogenic role of D. folliculorum in rosacea. (see article below)

I have always envisioned these little mites all standing at attention saluting some higher authority in doing their little dirty work on my face!

"Undoubtedly, infestation with D. folliculorum particularly in large number causes rosacea." source

There is evidence that IPL kills demodex mites. source

Apparently the Chinese have known about the demodex mite for some time and Professor Zhao Zhongzhou has been working on a medicine to eliminate the little creatures which is reported to help rosaceans. (see article below) Professor Zhao Zhongzhou says, "?That means 130 million Chinese people are suffering from acarodermatitis ? 30 million of them have red noses.? source

Another paper in June 1998 said,

"We suggest that a certain mite density is not an appropriate criterion in the diagnosis of the disease; nevertheless, large numbers of D. folliculorum may have an important role in the pathogenesis of rosacea, together with other triggering factors." (see article below)

These 'other triggering factors' may be an immune system dysfunction according to this study,

"It seems likely that Demodex infestation does not manifest unless local or systemic immune function is altered, leading to the proliferation of the organism and subsequent disease." (see article below)

What I have noticed is that when I began using the Zhongzhou Medical Ointment my rosacea has significantly improved within ten days! (see my diary on the results)

It is still not clearly established what is causing rosacea but the evidence is pointing to something that is either bacterial, a fungus, a parasite, or demodex mites going amuck. These demodex mites are on everyone including non-rosaceans, but why are studies of rosaceans revealing these peculiar oddities like 'mites all pointing in one direction' with 'bacteria in their gut and on their skin' and this important statement:

"This indicates that the Bacillus bacteria found in the Demodex mite produce an antigen that could be responsible for the tissue inflammation associated with papulopustular rosacea," source

Is there a test that doctors can perform for demodex folliculorum on your face? Answer. Dr. Nase even suggests that in some rosaceans it would be good to test for demodex. source

Can you perform your own self test with a microscope? Answer

And why would this statement be made if demodex folliculorum isn't a factor in the pathogenesis of rosacea?

... Oral Ivermectin (Stromectol) is making a huge difference in these [rosacea] sufferers facial symptoms and flushing triggers (yes, I said flushing triggers). Ivermectin is an anti-mite drug that is related to the macrolide antibiotics. It has a very good safety profile and less side effects than most antibiotics (and not one major side effect)..." source

The above source mentions some recent unpublished clinical studies. These unpublished clinical studies now add weight to the clinical studies done in Turkey and elsewhere that are mentioned in this editorial. Obviously these type of clinical studies are trying to uncover the relationship of the pathogenesis of demdex folliculorum's role in rosacea.

(Please see my editorial on Ivermectin)

T.J. Dunn, DVM, says, in discussing whether demodex mites can be transferred from a pet to a human:

"...Human demodex cases do occur but transmission from the dog to a human is quite rare. Nevertheless, human cases of demodex do happen where transmission from a family pet to a human occurs. See a case of demodex in a human below.) The mites reside and feed in the hair follicle and oil glands of the skin. Also called Mange, which is a general term used to describe any kind of mite infestation,..."

The above article supplies photos of a woman with a dermal infestation of demodex on her face and it looks very much like rosacea. You may view these photos by clicking here which is also the source of the above quote.

One report from Germany concluded:

"CONCLUSION: Demodicoses are frequent and occur among patients who are immunocompetent."

For the source of the above copyrighted editorial see this url >
http://tinyurl.com/aa9un
Brady Barrows