Maybe 6 days ago

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

Marla

Maybe 6 days ago

Post by Marla »

Was it about 6 days ago that I helped a neighbor catch her runaway dog? The girl has demodicosis. She lives among many cats as well.

I posted about 3 days later. I had a cyst behind my ear. I had two beginning red bumps on my face. ZZ spot treatment worked right away. I also put it all over my face one time. I also used Metro and Fulio all over on different days. Then I stopped.

I am almost out of the soap and foam wash. What harm would it do to use another soap? Not much, until the protection of Demodex Solution's products wears off. Then, look out!

Here it is, approximately one week later, and I have two big red bumps on my chin. I have not had these for months and months.

I do not blame the dog or the girl who owns the dog. It is my recent relaxed approach to treating my skin that let this happen.

Be careful. Keep your ZZ handy. Treat your skin regularly even if your skin is clear.
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

I also notice it when I come into contact with other people with acne, I will get acne if I shake their hands and then touch my face. I can't 100% prove it, but it really does look like there's a cause and effect there. So yes, one has to be careful about re-infection.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
Marla

Why?

Post by Marla »

Steve, here's my take on why we get acne after contact, and others go through life with angelic complexions:

1) Demodex causes my acne. I established this myself through extended microscopic examination in correlation with the condition of my skin.
2) There is a familial tendency toward acne in the general population.
3) Familial ties are genetic.
4) Therefore, acne is genetic?

Is #4 where the medical community stops in its investigation and treatment of acne?

Or is the logic faulty?

In other words, why me? Why us? Why not others? And, how soon will it be before we can splice our genes to stop this perplexing and disfiguring condition?

Meanwhile, ZZ is the fix. My two nodules on my chin are still hard and a little sore, but not worse, which is important. Prior to ZZ, they would be the size of a quarter by now, and painful.

And by the way, after months of no itch, I could feel the little claws of Demodex pulling themselves into my skin. It's an itch that I have come to recognize that is different from the tickle of a fiber antagonizing a nerve end. I learned to not ignore the Demodex itch, and treat it immediately with ZZ.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Families with many acne members is many times because one person, father, mother.............. infects all the other ones and then everybody infects everybody all the time.
I saw pictures even from baby's with demodecosis.

Walter
Marla

Close relationships

Post by Marla »

Hi, Walter.

Were the infections the same in quantity and appearance on the baby as they are on a more mature person? Can you describe them for me? Were the infections confined to the face and upper body? How did they look when compared to other family members? Was the condition recognized as Demodex and treated? What was the outcome?

I ask many questions, and it might be that you observed this casually and know nothing about the other circumstances. Nevertheless, I am curious.

What happens when a person with a history of clear skin lives with a person who has Demodex related acne? (Marriage, partnership, adoption, communes, and so forth.)

My curiosity for this topic is insatiable.
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

Marla,

I can almost guarantee you that acne has a genetic component to it. In other words, some people are genetically susceptible to getting acne. Most people get acne when they're teenagers, but it doesn't carry over into adulthood for them. Only a small percentage of people still have it in adulthood. I'm nearly certain that scientific study will reveal one or more genes which cause people to become more susceptible to acne. Once we know what those genes are, it might be possible to create a protein supplement or injection that will eliminate the problem completely. Won't that be nice.

My family has a history of skin problems. My father right now has something that looks a lot like bad rosacea. It itches him. I've told him about demodexsolutions.com, and he may be trying the products eventually. He's old, so he doesn't care about his appearance these days, and this is fairly recent thing for him, so he might just leave it untreated. He's always getting fungal infections (under his nails, on his chest, athletes feet, etc.). I also had a fungal infection under my toe nail once before I treated it successfully with Lamisil pills. My brother occasionally gets pimples (nothing like what I had), and he's older than I am. He's also susceptible to foot fungus. My mother never had acne all her life. So it might be passed on through the male side of my family. Either that or I just have a genetic mutation and what they have is something different. Or I have more genetic mutations than they do.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
Phil The Pill

Post by Phil The Pill »

Just thought I'd add my family history in here and some thoughts. My dad has extremely oily skin but currently has no skin problems but yes he did have the fungal infection in the toe nail as I do now (not too bad will get it treated soon). My mom has kind of oily skin and large pores with a slight redness and gets the odd pimple (I believe my mom to have a problem with mites). My older brother gets a few pimples but nothing much. He had bad acne for about a month till he took Accutane 20mg for a month. I don't think Acne is hereditary because Acne is related to an over infestation of mites. As Steve said, there's only a genetic component to acne ie. your skin type...but on the other hand, if we were to live outdoors like the cavemen my guess is that Acne and a large amount of other skin conditions would not be an issue.
Marla

The Male Factor

Post by Marla »

SteveInAustin wrote:Marla,

I can almost guarantee you that acne has a genetic component to it. In other words, some people are genetically susceptible to getting acne. Most people get acne when they're teenagers, but it doesn't carry over into adulthood for them. Only a small percentage of people still have it in adulthood. I'm nearly certain that scientific study will reveal one or more genes which cause people to become more susceptible to acne. Once we know what those genes are, it might be possible to create a protein supplement or injection that will eliminate the problem completely. Won't that be nice.

My family has a history of skin problems. My father right now has something that looks a lot like bad rosacea. It itches him. I've told him about demodexsolutions.com, and he may be trying the products eventually. He's old, so he doesn't care about his appearance these days, and this is fairly recent thing for him, so he might just leave it untreated. He's always getting fungal infections (under his nails, on his chest, athletes feet, etc.). I also had a fungal infection under my toe nail once before I treated it successfully with Lamisil pills. My brother occasionally gets pimples (nothing like what I had), and he's older than I am. He's also susceptible to foot fungus. My mother never had acne all her life. So it might be passed on through the male side of my family. Either that or I just have a genetic mutation and what they have is something different. Or I have more genetic mutations than they do.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA

My father had occasional cysts, and much oil. His nose was large and reddened. I have a picture of him before I was born, and it shows a big bump in the middle of his forehead. It's just like the two that are on my chin at this moment.

My mother never had skin problems. My sister has problems, but less so than I.

Alas, the genetic tendency seems to have come from my father, as you suggest.

Steve, I would be interested in one or more polls regarding the frequency of people with Demodex, or acne of any type, who are in close contact with mammalian pets; and, another poll regarding the presence of suspected demodicosis in the family history. Since you are skilled in scientific methods, would you construct a poll that would be meaningful to those of us who wonder "Why"?

The two nasty infections on my chin are giving me fits. I am taking pictures daily, and will consider submitting them to Walter after they heal. They are precisely where the rogue puppy's eyes contacted my skin. I could feel the wetness from the exudate in the puppy's eyes. I let my guard down in the weeks preceding the event, by treating my skin sporadically. All was good until now.
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

Phil The Pill wrote:I don't think Acne is hereditary because Acne is related to an over infestation of mites. As Steve said, there's only a genetic component to acne ie. your skin type...but on the other hand, if we were to live outdoors like the cavemen my guess is that Acne and a large amount of other skin conditions would not be an issue.
Just to clarify, I do think acne is hereditary in the sense that this is a result of bad genes. The susceptibility to it, that is. Yes, it's caused by the mites and bacteria. But the bacteria and mites only cause problems for people who are physically unable to deal with them, and that implies a genetic root cause. If we could fix it at the genetic level, the problem would go away. But while this sounds good, keep in mind that the genes that affect acne susceptibility probably have other purposes as well, so it may not be easy to fix. But we'll get there someday.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
SteveInAustin

Re: The Male Factor

Post by SteveInAustin »

Marla wrote: Steve, I would be interested in one or more polls regarding the frequency of people with Demodex, or acne of any type, who are in close contact with mammalian pets; and, another poll regarding the presence of suspected demodicosis in the family history. Since you are skilled in scientific methods, would you construct a poll that would be meaningful to those of us who wonder "Why"?
It sounds like it would be a worthwhile poll. Don't worry about making it overly scientific. Just go ahead and start a poll thread here on the subject. If you wanted to publish a study in a scientific journal, then you'd have to be much more rigorous about the details. An informal poll would do for now I think.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
flower

Post by flower »

i am one of the people you mention who goes through life with a great complexion and then at mid life.....wham the rosacea began.
i beleive there is a huge atoimmune component. i myself have and autoimmune disease, but of course not all rosaceans do. yet i think our immune systems get weaker as we get older. .
the fact that many have fungal infections(i also had tone on my foot i could not get rid of at the same time my rosacea started), tells us that opportunistic critters are able to take hold on us.
those with pustules and skin thickening are experiencing a couple of things....the pustules are the mite activity bringing the bacteria in and out and it getting stuck in the follicle...then the immune system reacts to it...
the skin thickening is also the immune system causing inflammation, and over time the skin gets thicker in response to chronic inflammation.
my teen had acne and i think close contact caused me to have this situation as well.
i have spent the last year getting my immune system stronger and the one thing i notice is that my foot funus 90% disappears. '
nevertheless i am grateful for these products. my problem would have continued to rage out of control otherwise.
flower
Marla

I'm sure I'm sure

Post by Marla »

I am sure that my recent relapse was caused by mites that had contact with cats.

The mites were carried on a dog to my face. I do not touch cats. I occasionally touch dogs other than my own.

Only one dog I touched lives with cats. It was the dog I picked up to keep it from running away. It rubbed and licked my face everywhere. I am old enough to know better than to let someone else's dog do that to me.

I do not like it when people who have cats touch my dogs. I do not want Demodex (mites or eggs or nymphs) from cats on my dogs.

I am allergic to cats. Cat proteins introduced deep within my pores and follicles are sure to incite a dermatological riot involving my immune system.

Drat.