Can you get infected by demodex from your pets?

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

baybeebubble

Can you get infected by demodex from your pets?

Post by baybeebubble »

Hey ,

I have had "very close" contact with my parents dog recently as they are away on holidays. I have started to get a few more spots than usual. This is not the first time this has happened. There have been other occasions when I have looked after the dog and the same thing happens (my skin gets slightly worse.) Is this just coincidence? Can you pick up demodex from animals? My parents dog has also been biting (her paws) and sctratching alot recently is this a symptom of demodex? We are taking her to the vets this evening to find out whats wrong with her.

Do all dogs carry demodex even if it's just a small population of them?
:?: :?:

BAYBEEBUBBLE
Hilda

A link between Demodex in humans and dogs

Post by Hilda »

Yes I believe indeed that you can get infected or the condition worsened by contact with dogs. In my personal experience it happened to me after one year of a very succesful treatment for papular Rosacea with the ZZ ointment, and at a time when my skin was very clear. I got a new puppy and as soon as I came in contact with him, I got a set back in my condition
that took a while to clear up. Please take a look at the link enclosed, where they show a definite case of dog / human cross infection
http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/dem.html#disappeared