flakey, crusty, scaley skin

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

KIMBERLY

flakey, crusty, scaley skin

Post by KIMBERLY »

Hello everyone,
I have been using DS for going on 2 months and I am having less clogged pores and breakouts, but my skin especially along the sides of my nose and mouth is like a bad sunburn. When the red inflammed feeling calms down, my skin gets thick and then begins to peel and flake and scale. It is impossible to cover with makeup , unless I try to remove the flakes and scale. However, when I do, it gets really red and oozes in some places. I am also getting deep wrinkles in these areas. Has anyone else had this experience? I have tried cutting down on the zz ointment and using fumanling cream for a couple of days, but it doesn't help much. I am back to using small amounts of the zz ointment. I even bought some of the natural coconut cream from the website recommended, but the scale and flakes still keep appearing. Is this a normal part of the process? I wonder sometimes if I really have rosasea. Sometimes I feel I have eczema or dermatitis, but I have been diagnosed with acne rosasea by two different dermatologists. However, neither did any lab work. Each barely looked at my face before making a diagnosis. Can anyone shed some light on this. What do you think?
Thanks for any comments,
Kimberly
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

I have the exact same problem -- any thoughts Walter?
flower

Post by flower »

i still think you are using way too much for your skin. wet your face, and then touch your finger to the zz cream, and spread it around your face. it should be totally invisible. only a teeny bit.
stay away from the really dry areas for a day or two till they calm down. did you use the tape?
flower
KIMBERLY

Post by KIMBERLY »

Hi ZigZag and Flower,
I did try wetting my face with water and only using a little bit, it helped some. However, my main trouble spots are between my nose and mouth on both sides. I really don't have a problem anywhere else on my face and if I don't put it on there I feel that it can't help those areas, which were scaly and flakey and irritated before I started using DS, but now it is more wide spread and less concentrated in one area. I do however, have some on my back and arms, but my face bothers me most because it is so obvious. I haven't tried the tape yet, but I will. Thank you for the advice once again. I really need to hear from those of you that have survived this. I guess I need to know if any of you might think this is a dermatitis rather than rosasea based on my description and your personal experiences. If it is like a seborrheic dermatitis will DS help that as well?
Thanks for being there for me,
Kimberly
flower

Post by flower »

the skin by the side of the nose is the most thin and sensitive for me...so i am really careful there. also, you may be inadvertently starting your application of the cream at those areas, making it a bit thicker or maybe you are massaging it in too forcefully there.
as far as seb derm, i know nothing...but posting a picture might help...can you do that?
make sure to treat the back and arms as well...these areas are the last to go for me..
flower
KIMBERLY

Post by KIMBERLY »

Flower,
Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, I have been working and trying to make sure my mother and mother-in-law were taken care of for mother's day. You may be right, I do start applying the cream in these troubled areas first and really I don't apply to the areas on my face that are not affected. I'm sorry, I don't have a digital camera that works to take a picture right now, but my husband does at work and he said he would bring it home so I could take a picture and post it. So, I will get back to you when I do. I may try to see about making another dermatologist appointment with one I haven't already seen to get another opinion. I will let you know what I find out and send you a picture.
Thanks for your help.
Kimberly
Hilda

In response to dry, peeling, flakey skin

Post by Hilda »

I have used the ZZ ointment and soap, and after 1 year and 4 months my condition is healed. I too went trough the cycles of peeling , dryness , flaky skin. I tried humectants of all kinds to no avail, then I realized that's part of the process is the bad layers of skin sloughin off, to reveal more healthy skin. I never used any other products other than the ointment and soap, it does require patience, just hang in there and give it time to work. Have you seen my pictures, they're in the Pictures from People section, under the title Severe Rosacea.