Getting Sulfer Smell from ZZ ointment out of Clothes, Sheets

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

anja

Getting Sulfer Smell from ZZ ointment out of Clothes, Sheets

Post by anja »

I don't think I've ever read any complaints here from anyone about the sulfer smell from the ZZ cream. I do have quite a nose for odors, but my boyfriend notices it, too, and it is really bothering both of us. I am finding that my whole bed smells like sulfur now, as do most of my clothes and towels. Just washing a few items that have picked up that odor along with other things will make the whole batch of laundry smell like sulfur, even after it comes out of the dryer. And it really hangs on! Last time I washed the sheets in very hot water with a cup of white vinegar, than ran them through a second time with an enzyme-based deoderizer/stain remover product and some oxygen bleach, and they still smell. I have to say I do use a natural, citrus-based detergent from the health food store.

Has anyone figured out a solution? I would just cut my losses and replace the bedding at some point, except that I don't think I'll be totally "done" with the cream any time soon, if ever. I suspect that unless I'm in really great overall health, I'll need to use it in a maintenance fashion indefinitely.

Any suggestions for removing the smell?
tkr

Post by tkr »

Anja, hate to be rude but this was the least of my concerns. The z cream was fine with me. I was more worried about the end result whether the product works or not. Sorry, but never bothered me, and I am happy with my improvement. tamara
anja

Post by anja »

Tamara, thanks for your reply, I am hoping my post is not misinterpreted as complaining, though. I am seeing results with the ZZ cream and don't intend to stop using it just because of the smell - I never had a really bad skin problem, but it's working wonders on the "hormonal" acne, and totally worth the cost or any inconvenience, I'm quite happy with it. I'm also sure I can't be the only user who finds the residual sulfur smell unpleasant. Every nose is different, and I'm more sensitive to smells than a lot of people, but I figured there might be a couple people using the ZZ cream who knew better than I how to get odors out of laundry, in general. This seems to be a tough one to remove.
blbase

Post by blbase »

Hi Anja,

This is just my observation, I don't know if this is true for everyone.
I started using the ZZ cream just over a year ago. When I first started the sulfur smell was a little overwhelming especially when I took my blankets and sheets/pillow cases out of the dryer. It seemed like the heat made the smell more intense!! A small price to pay for clear skin and, my husband didn't seem to notice. Anyway the longer I used the ZZ cream and the more my face healed the less it smelled. Even during the 2 set backs I had the smell seemed to be stronger but then lessened as I healed. Hope this helps and good luck the end result is wonderful!!!!!