Questions about ZZ cream and demodex

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

Trudy

Questions about ZZ cream and demodex

Post by Trudy »

I started using the zz cream 5 days ago 2x/day after having rosacea/perioral dermatitis (idiopathic--not sterioid-induced) for probably five years (and have literally tried everything else). I have redness on my chin and terrible broken blood vessels on my nose. I also have melasma and hyperpigmentation from the irritation caused by the pd. I have confirmed demodex using my own microscope. I actually took video and showed it to my dermatologist to get him to prescribe me ivermectin and permethrin. I took a two week ivermectin course plus topical permethrin but it didn't do anything to the demodex (which actually my Dr said would be the case). So I started the zz cream on Nov. 23rd and so far my redness has improved quite a bit. I know there will be a die off coming, but so far I'm very hopeful and my skin already looks better than it has in 3 years. Here are my questions:

1. If I have found demodex on my forehead, nose, and chin, does this mean I have it in my eyelashes? I don't have eye symptoms, but I do have millia. Is that a symptom? Should I buy the eyelash treatment or can I get away with just using the soap (and the zz on the rest of my face)?

2. I have been having Jessner peels (4 so far, 2 to go) to get rid of the hyperpigmentation. I have to use Retin-A for a few days before the peel. Because I started the zz cream in between peels, should I use the zz cream at night and retin-a during the day leading up to the peel? I know it wasn't ideal to start the zz cream before my peels were done but then I'd have to wait 3 more months, I'm getting desperate, and my peels can only be done in the winter.

3. My nose is often itchy/tickled at night. Can demodex live inside the nose?

4. I tested my husband and could not find any mites on his face but he has Keratosis Pilaris on his arms. Can KP be caused by the demodex mite?

5. I had a staph infection on my chin last year. Can this be caused by demodex?

That's all my questions for now! Thank you. Trudy
Walter

Re: Questions about ZZ cream and demodex

Post by Walter »

Hello
1. If I have found demodex on my forehead, nose, and chin, does this mean I have it in my eyelashes? I don't have eye symptoms, but I do have millia. Is that a symptom? Should I buy the eyelash treatment or can I get away with just using the soap (and the zz on the rest of my face)?
Demodex mite problems can show in many different forms but your milia is probably not a symptom, who knows though…….
If no symptoms on the eyes I would not treat them for now, just treat the face
2. I have been having Jessner peels (4 so far, 2 to go) to get rid of the hyperpigmentation. I have to use Retin-A for a few days before the peel. Because I started the zz cream in between peels, should I use the zz cream at night and retin-a during the day leading up to the peel? I know it wasn't ideal to start the zz cream before my peels were done but then I'd have to wait 3 more months, I'm getting desperate, and my peels can only be done in the winter.
It depends, if your skin can handle ZZ treatment (night) and the retin-a (day) then it is probably ok, if not, you will find out.
3. My nose is often itchy/tickled at night. Can demodex live inside the nose?

In the entrance yes
4. I tested my husband and could not find any mites on his face but he has Keratosis Pilaris on his arms. Can KP be caused by the demodex mite?
No
5. I had a staph infection on my chin last year. Can this be caused by demodex?
Yes, they transport all kinds of bacteria from the surface of your skin into the hair follicles and/or sebaceous glands

Walter
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Thanks for the response, Walter. I have more questions and one I'm not sure if you can answer, but I'll take any guess you can give me! From my tests at home with my microscope, I believe I have only the D. brevis mite. I find them quite heavily in the area between my eyebrows, sort of a lot on my nose, and very few on my chin. I have no symptoms between my eyebrows; however, my worst symptoms are on my chin: redness, bumps, pustules, papules. Can you explain why this could be? It seems like there is a lot less oil on my chin than between my eyebrows so actually trying to test on my chin is harder (there's just less oil to scrape and test).

Can the zz cream help problem skin that is not affected by demodex?

Is it possible to not have a die-off reaction and it's still working? I'm not breaking out like I thought. In fact, I normally use Finacea, but now am only using zz and I have probably less breakouts than with the prescription cream!

Thank you,
Trudy
Walter

Post by Walter »

Hello Trudy
however, my worst symptoms are on my chin: redness, bumps, pustules, papules. Can you explain why this could be?
There is not always a direct relationship between the amount of mites found and the symptoms
so it is not so important how many mites you find on a certain place, don’t focus too much on this.
Can the zz cream help problem skin that is not affected by demodex?
How do you mean, skin without any mites?
Is it possible to not have a die-off reaction and it's still working
Yes, everybody reacts so different that there is no general rule, some have heavy outbreaks
a longer time, others nothing……………why? I don’t know………

Walter
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Hi Walter,

I was asking if the zz cream can help skin conditions NOT caused by the mite. I was asking because I don't find very many mites on my chin so was hoping that just in case my dermatitis isn't caused by the mite, it could possibly help anyway. You sort of answered this in that you said the number of mites doesn't necessarily correlate with the amount of skin problems. I 100% have the demodex, but I just have these doubts that I may get rid of the mite and my skin will still be problematic. I've tried so many products and nothing has really helped that maybe I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself if it happens once again!

I'm using 100% aloe vera gel as a moisturizer (not from demodex solutions). If I use a different moisturizer, what moisturizer ingredients should I avoid? For example, should I avoid anything with oil like jojoba oil or evening primrose oil? Thank you a ton for taking the time to answer my questions. It's fantastic to have someone we all can come to with questions.

Trudy
Walter

Post by Walter »

hello again
skin conditions NOT caused by the mite
The ointment can indeed also help without mites because the anti-bacterial action, makes the skin less greasy etc.
but I just have these doubts that I may get rid of the mite and my skin will still be problematic
I don’t think your skin will be still problematic, don’t trouble trouble until trouble troubles you…….
you know you have demodex mites so you are treating right this time.
what moisturizer ingredients should I avoid
Nothing special, as long the ingredients doesn’t react with the ointment it is ok,
you need to find out what works the best for you but we know that aloe vera
works very well in combination with the ointment, we don’t recommend this but
some customers even used aloe vera together with the ZZ ointment with good results.

Walter
mcwick94

Post by mcwick94 »

Walter how do you mean that Aloe can be used in conjunction with ZZ? Mixed in with it or applied after? Also which of the two aloe products that you offer are more moisturizing? Ive used Aloe straight from the plant and find it very drying. Could I use this until I order your aloe product? I have just started my treatment. Im using a very small amount to start as my nerves are very unsteady right now but I know I have to do something to get my skin back. When you say dot a small amount on face do you mean a pea sized for each area? For example a pea sized would be enough to do my forehead, left cheek and sides of face, right cheek and sides of face and a pea for chin and maybe a smaller amount for nose? Im so dry from using just my cleanser its very hard to spread the ZZ. The consistency of the Fumaling is so much easier to spread. Thank you