COCONUT OIL HELPS!!!

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

RC

COCONUT OIL HELPS!!!

Post by RC »

there is an amazing product that helps with acne and rosacea i think you all should check out. it is virgin coconut oil. it stabalizes blood sugar and rids the body of candida which the mites feed on. i was having horrible skin problems till i started taking the oil along with using DS. my skin has improved so much. it also helps with weight problems an added benefit. i have only been on it 5 days and have seen great results. i will keep you posted. i think combining this with DS is a smart move. combating candida inside the body and mites outside works much faster and more thoroughly. check out this website http://www.tropicaltraditions.com and look under the candida link. this is the cause of lots of thyroid problems which can be cleared without meds.
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

Heard about it before. I strongly caution against it. The American Heart Association has an official warning about coconut oil on their web site, saying that people should avoid eating it. It's almost 100% saturated fat. Saturated fats cause heart disease by increasing LDL cholesterol (low density lipoprotein - also known as "bad" cholesterol). As a result of research on it, most snack food product makers have removed it from their ingredient list. Movie popcorn butter used to be made from the stuff, and so they changed to another ingredient instead. Most plant-based oils will contain far less saturated fats and actually contain "healthy" fats instead (omega-6's, omega-3's, and omega-9's). Do the research for yourself, and you'll find out everything I've just said is the truth.

Anyone that wants to do this to themselves should have regular blood checks once a month to detect rises in cholesterol levels. I'm serious. You'll likely cause arterial plaques to start building up rapidly on your arterial walls, potentially cutting your lifespan in half. It could also cause liver damage.

Furthermore, if you look into it, it is COUNTER-indicated topically for candida or any fungus. Research shows folliculitis gets worse in the presence of coconut oil products (suntan lotions and so forth).

So far we have some anecdotal evidence that it might be good for use against acne-like symptoms. But even if it does help acne, it's not worth having a heart attack over.

Mind you, that's if you eat the stuff. If you use it topically ONLY, then I think that's okay. Just don't eat the stuff.

One other thing, before you announce to the world what a great thing something is for acne, consider waiting 3 months at least. That should be about enough time for any placebo effects to wear off. Being on it for just 5 days is really not enough time to base any conclusions whatsoever. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people post "miracle cures" for acne after just doing the programs for only 1 week. I almost never see them post a follow-up saying that it actually didn't work in the long run. Almost all of these miracle cures are nothing but the placebo effect.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
hjohns

Post by hjohns »

i, too am using coconut oil topically to complement the DS regimen. it has to be extra virgin for best effects. otherwise, the best stuff is lost. it's a fantastic moisturizer, and the fact that it supposedly kills demodex is an added benefit.

as far as ingesting it goes...yes, the AHA thinks it's bad. but remember, authoritative dermatological institutions which are the analagous to the AHA would also tell you that demodex causing acne is fiction. i think pretty much everybody on this board would agree that these mites are NOT some paranoid delusion; results speak for themselves. my point is, although we've been making some great breakthroughs in modern medicine, we still don't know everything; we shouldn't normatively dictate what is right and wrong. some research says eating coconut oil is bad, while others say that eating the right coconut oil - thereby getting the medium-chain fatty acids - is very healthy. you can believe what you want on that issue. it's really pretty much a moot point. consider, however, that people have lived eating this stuff their entire lives, and they don't seem to be plagued by some of the health problems that we do here in the western world.

just some food for thought. use your own judgment.
hjohns

Post by hjohns »

oh and there is research out there - you could easily find it on google by typing "coconut oil thyroid" or something like that - that eating the oil helps w/ thyroid problems
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

hjohns wrote:
as far as ingesting it goes...yes, the AHA thinks it's bad. but remember, authoritative dermatological institutions which are the analagous to the AHA would also tell you that demodex causing acne is fiction. i think pretty much everybody on this board would agree that these mites are NOT some paranoid delusion; results speak for themselves. my point is, although we've been making some great breakthroughs in modern medicine, we still don't know everything; we shouldn't normatively dictate what is right and wrong. some research says eating coconut oil is bad, while others say that eating the right coconut oil - thereby getting the medium-chain fatty acids - is very healthy. you can believe what you want on that issue. it's really pretty much a moot point. consider, however, that people have lived eating this stuff their entire lives, and they don't seem to be plagued by some of the health problems that we do here in the western world.

just some food for thought. use your own judgment.
Actually the situation isn't analogous to the way that Dermatology does not recognize the effect of demodex mites on acne. See, the American Heart Association has actual PROOF that coconut oil causes heart disease. Whereas Dermatology simply hasn't seen evidence that demodex mites cause acne. Do you see the difference? Dermatology hasn't stated that demodex mites do NOT cause acne. They've simply stated that they have no reason to believe it at this time, because they've not seen the evidence. When more research is done on the effect of demodex mites on acne, then you might see them change their minds. It has yet to be scientifically proven or disproven that demodex mites cause or contribute to acne. But as for coconut oil, that's a done deal. They have proof.

You can believe whatever quack web site you want to believe. There are many of them out there on the internet. And you're free to do whatever you want to yourself. I just think ignoring scientific proof in favor of what amounts to "belief" or "faith" is foolish, especially when it could cause your lifespan to be cut in half.

I would also argue that there are not people who have been "eating this stuff their entire lives" without problems. Show me some of these people. Where are they? Who is downing cups of pure coconut oil everyday and living into their 70's, 80's, and 90's? What is their cholesterol count like?

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
hjohns

Post by hjohns »

SteveInAustin wrote:Movie popcorn butter used to be made from the stuff, and so they changed to another ingredient instead.
so, was this coconut oil hydrogenated? partially hydrogenated? virgin? extra virgin? did it contain any trans fat, or none?

now that trans fat has been brought to public attention - they are now starting to label the amount of TRANS fat, which is supposedly the new EVIL fat (formerly saturated fat) per serving - things MAY have changed.

i'm guessing that the movie theaters which added coconut oil didn't ante up for the high-cost, high-quality, extra-virgin type, because it costs around $15 for 16 oz. not very economical. no, they probably went with the more economical, extra-processed (read: high in undesirable trans fat) variety. believe me, i'm buying the _real_ thing and it ain't cheap...but it's helping.

in my VERY HUMBLE (ie DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH, MAKE YOUR OWN DECISIONS;) opinion, coconut oil is a great supplement to the DS regimen. since i have started using it - internally and externally - i have seen a DISTINCT difference...the same type of VERY CLEAR AND DISTINCT difference i saw from when i stopped using XYZ topical treatment and started using DS's products. in other words, it's been HUGE.

i'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. EVERYONE's situation is unique and different..."your mileage may vary." one person may have pure demodex infestation problems, the other may have thyroid difficulties, or a combination of the above. OR who knows what. everyone's circumstances are quite different. obviously, skin problems are complex and nobody has the normative "answer."

i challenge YOU to do the research, and decide for YOURSELF. the studies - on both sides - are out there, and plentiful. there are a lot of conflicting things that are being said about this oil, or that oil, or saturated fat vs trans fat, etc., by various sources. the supporters of coconut oil are not all inherently "quacks," but not all of them are necessarily "completely objective" and "scientific" and so on and so forth. again, use your own judgment.

it's something for your consideration, to possibly help your get better. read whatever literature is available to you; EDUCATE YOURSELF.

that's all i'm advocating.

***with that said, i'm not going to get into any longwinded debates; i've said what i've come to say. i feel like it has helped me; whether the topical or internal treatment has been the deciding factor, i don't know. if you're out there and looking at this, i'd say AT VERY LEAST consider it as an external moisturizer, because it fights demodex in that respect. make your own decision. and thanks for having an open mind.***

i'm done with this thread, and won't be responding to any retorts on this topic again. i've said what i wanted to say, and i feel it's sufficient.

given the compelling counterpoint which has been presented, and this post, i feel that you all have enough information available to you, and can make your own EDUCATED decisions in your own best interests, given your own unique circumstances.

"so go do what you like
make sure you DO IT WISE...
...you cant go voicin somehin if it's just not right..."

- howard
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

so, was this coconut oil hydrogenated? partially hydrogenated? virgin? extra virgin? did it contain any trans fat, or none?

now that trans fat has been brought to public attention - they are now starting to label the amount of TRANS fat, which is supposedly the new EVIL fat (formerly saturated fat) per serving - things MAY have changed.

i'm guessing that the movie theaters which added coconut oil didn't ante up for the high-cost, high-quality, extra-virgin type, because it costs around $15 for 16 oz. not very economical. no, they probably went with the more economical, extra-processed (read: high in undesirable trans fat) variety. believe me, i'm buying the _real_ thing and it ain't cheap...but it's helping.

"Extra virgin" just means that the oil was cold pressed instead of using heat. They increase the temperature in order to extract more oil than would normally be extracted. In doing so, it doesn't change the molecular structure of the oil, nor does it hydrogenate it to produce any trans-fats.

So what the American Heart Association says works equally well for "extra virgin" or regular coconut oil.

Also, extra virgin coconut oil is also nearly 100% saturated fat. Same with regular coconut oil, because they're basically the same product. And it's the saturated fat that causes increases in LDL cholesterol. Just because it's "extra virgin", it doesn't magically negate that fact.

Trans-fats are also "bad" fats. I spoke with a nutritionist and dietician recently about the issue of trans-fats vs. saturated fats. I asked her which one was worse. She said that at this time she considers them both to be equally as bad for the heart. I've found that to be in agreement with the mainstream.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
RC

Post by RC »

steve, i have absolutely no trust in western medicine. just because the american heart ass. says one thing i do not take it as gospel. i believe there are natural alternatives to healing and my trust lies in them. please do more research on the amazing results people getwith VCO. LOWER cholesterol,
more beautiful smooth skin, stable blood sugar, weight lose, higher metabolism, better immune system and tons more energy. i am experiencing this for myself so i am a believer.
nancy

Post by nancy »

Hi RC:

I think you responded to me and said you have rosacea, do you have red skin? What were your systoms before you used DS?

Nancy

PS how do you post someone's quote.
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

RC wrote:steve, i have absolutely no trust in western medicine. just because the american heart ass. says one thing i do not take it as gospel. i believe there are natural alternatives to healing and my trust lies in them. please do more research on the amazing results people getwith VCO. LOWER cholesterol,
more beautiful smooth skin, stable blood sugar, weight lose, higher metabolism, better immune system and tons more energy. i am experiencing this for myself so i am a believer.
I understand where you're coming from. There are a lot of things I don't like about the way medicine is practiced here in the U.S. I personally think that there's far too much money changing hands between pharmacy companies and the FDA. That's established fact. And they're working on improving it, but it still sucks.

However, I'm not yet ready to throw the baby out with the bath water. Fundamentally, Western medicine is grounded in scientific evidence. What that means is that researchers get a hypothesis, they test the hypothesis, it becomes a theory, research papers are written describing their findings, the papers undergo a thorough and lengthy peer review process before publishing, and then once it's published it gets reviewed by the scientific community in general whereby they will conduct their own independent experiments to try to reproduce the results and conclusions based in the paper.

This is a very very rigorous and meaningful pursuit, and it lies at the core of all Western medicine and all Science in general. Put simply, you can't even make any claims in Western medicine unless you have solid experimental data, peer review, and the independent verification. Even then your claims are inherently subject to change *always*. Even the theory of Gravity is subject to change. Everything in Medicine or Science in general can be challenged and corrected over time.

Whereas Naturopathy, Homeopathy, Holisticism, etc. (alternative medicine) is based on personal, subjective experience. I like to call that "opinion". This is not subject to any sort of peer review or scientific analysis. It's not subject to change. Once the alternative medicine practitioner has made up his/her mind about something, nothing can change it. They don't put their claims to the test. They don't try to eliminate bias. They don't do studies or publish research in peer reviewed, scientific journals. They're not open to critical examination of their practices and assumptions. Often they rely on the patient's "belief" in order for their cures to work.

In short, these systems of alternative medicine leave much to be desired, to say the least. There is a good reason why Western medicine is the way it is. It's that way because they want to get to the truth the fastest way possible. They carefully and methodically remove bias from their results. They're sincerely trying to figure stuff out. You don't have to be a "believer" in Western medicine in order for it to work.

Now, getting back to this coconut oil thing. If the American Heart Association makes a claim and says coconut oil causes heart disease, you can bet that they can provide peer-reviewed, scientific reports showing this to be the fact. You can also bet that they've looked at all of the available scientific evidence on the subject, including any contradictory data, and have concluded it causes heart disease still. That's how Science works. What you get on the internet with alternative medicine web sites tend to be biased or selective results which ignore the larger breadth of studies available at this time.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
jon schiavone

vco

Post by jon schiavone »

rc, and hjohns:

Do you folks have rosacea or acne? I have rosacea and very red skin. Does this match your skin type before began supplementing the vco with te ds?

Jon
di

Post by di »

I have been using organic extra virgin coconut oil for 5 year now (from tropical traditons). It is a great, absolutely great product. Steve, this oil is lowering the bad cholesterol, not increasing it!!
It is also very safe at high temperatures...it does not transform in toxic chemical compounds when cook at high temperatures...It has lots of essential fatty acids which every body needs...
I strongly recommend the use of coconul oil!!!
Diana
sandy

Post by sandy »

Has anybody used colostrum to boost the immune system?
crzyakta

Post by crzyakta »

from what I read 2 years ago, the oil has to be virgin coconut oil, if it is not cold pressed or not virgin, it will lead to problems associated with saturated fat...but if it is, it will actually reduce LDL, stabilize blood sugar, fight off fungus infections etc

the oil the government is talking about is most likely refined for shelf life, and has most of its antioxidants taken out...of course a rancid oil is not good for you
tkr

Post by tkr »

I think it is great you are recieving great results so soon, but I personally would not put coconut oil on my face, stupid question here, does it not have sugar??or does the virgin or organic not contain any? cant imagine putting this crap on my face.
Oh, another thing doesnt mites feed off of oil? cant be good for getting rid of mites, i dont believe it, after checking it out, there are so many sites out there, god knows what to believe.