COCONUT OIL HELPS!!!

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

Jen

Post by Jen »

I have been cooking with and eating virgin coconut oil for 5 months now, as part of Bee Wilder's Candida Diet (Yahoo). Here's an extract from her main article:

"The right kind of fat is nature-made saturated fat, in spite of what we’ve been led to believe. It plays many important roles in body chemistry. Unfortunately saturated fats have been given a bad name by the oil and food manufacturing industries, with the sole purpose of selling their products. This is also true for drug companies who perpetuate the cholesterol myth and low-fat diets in order to sell drugs.

The truth is, natural nature-made fats and oils have components found only in them, which are health-promoting, and all newfangled man-made fats are now known to be disease-causing. Health-giving saturated fats are stable and do not become rancid easily, and they do not draw upon the body’s reserves of antioxidants, nor do they initiate cancer or irritate the artery walls like man-made fats and oils.

Healthy saturated fats are an important part of any healthy meal. It draws nutrients out of foods and slows digestion so that natural enzymes and the assimilation process can take place. Healthy fats include butter, tallow, lard, poultry fats, fish oils, and tropical fats from palms and coconuts."

"Coconut Oil is another healthy saturated fat that contains many beneficial properties and helps prevent bacterial and viral infections. It is also a fabulous antifungal. It supports immune system function, supplies important nutrients necessary for good health and improves digestion and the absorption of nutrients from proteins and carbohydrates. The fat in coconut oil is easily digested and absorbed, unlike the man-made fats or oils that act just like plastic in the body. It puts little strain on the digestive system and provides a quick source of energy necessary to promote healing.

Coconut oil, butter, and palm oil are absorbed into bloodstream directly from the intestines through the lymph system, whereas other fats require pancreatic enzymes and bile to break them into smaller units and then they transported to the liver, where they are processed before entering the bloodstream. That is why these good saturated fats put very little strain on the digestive system, even for poople who have had difficulty digesting fats or if they do not have a gall bladder.

When buying coconut oil look for one that is expeller pressed, unrefined, unbleached and undeodorized. Extra virgin is the highest quality – see the Coconut Oil Folder for more information, and for the survey done on our group, and sources with websites. Coconut oil is highly resistant to spoilage and has a long shelf life (2 years at room temperature), so it is not kept refrigerated. It is kept in the cupboard or on the kitchen counter. Like other saturated fats coconut oil goes solid when cooled below room temperature.

Coconut oil has a high burning point and is the perfect oil for cooking. It can be used alone, or mixed with butter, lard or other good fats for cooking and frying. Coconut oil can be taken by the spoonfuls with meals to aid digestion or melted on cooked foods. The recommended therapeutic dose for candida sufferers or anyone who is unhealthy is 5-6 tablespoons per day, in divided doses, preferably with meals that contain protein.

Since coconut oil is antifungal, antiparasitic, antibacterial and antiviral, etc. it will create die-off or healing reactions in people who are unhealthy, but it will be particularly pronounced in candida sufferers. The most common healing reaction is diarrhea because coconut oil helps clean out toxins, and diarrhea is a way for the body to get rid of toxins. Other healing reactions may include increased mucus in the intestines, nose, sinuses, lungs, etc.

To minimize healing reactions or die-off start taking coconut oil at a low dose (1/2 to 1 teaspoon 3 times a day) and gradually increase the amount every 4-5 days until you reach the maximum therapeutic dose of 5-6 tablespoons per day. It is also important to take coconut oil in divided doses during the day and not all at once."

Tkr

I have tried it on my face too (I have Rosacea) and quite like it. You only need a really tiny amount as it goes a long way. My skin is more oily than dry, so it did worry me at first to be putting an oil on my face. It takes a little while to absorb into the skin but once it has absorbed, it feels nice. I have also tried other natural oils on my face (just in the morning now - as I use the ZZ at night) and they have been good too - Rose Hip Oil, Emu Oil, Jojoba Oil, Hemp Seed Oil. So, don't be scared by the word "oil" when it comes down to putting natural oils on your face, you only need a tiny amount onto a damp face. I think it works well alongside the ZZ.

So, yes, Mites feed off oil but I do believe that Rosaceans still need to moisturise their skin. If the skin gets too dry, it creates a sort of 'Catch 22' situation. If your skin is too dry, it works harder to produce oil to combat the dryness. If we add a little moisturiser, the skin won't need to battle it out for a balance.

There is a small amount of sugar in coconut oil but nothing that would jump out and grab you! LOL It's not like eating a chocolate bar.

Anyway, that's my way more than 2c worth! Hope it helps.

Jen
Acorn59

Re: COCONUT OIL HELPS!!!

Post by Acorn59 »

That's awesome that the coconut oil works for you.
I can not use it topically because it always breaks me out. (well... this was before I used zzcream). It would also make my hair VERY itchy and my seborrhea worse.

Maybe it was the mites dying? lol I don't know.

I have read many many many great thinks about virgin coconut oil.
I use it as a body moisturizer and it's great for that.
I wanted to take it internally because I've read about the cholesterol affects, and celebrities like orlando bloom's wife doing it for good skin, etc... but I could never get 1 spoonful down. so gross.

As long as it works for you!
But I do agree coconut oil is good for you.